Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    I'll mention that Skeletons in the Closet got two plays out of it when DS was 4. Once he had names on all the bones and built a skeleton, the game play ended up a bit unengaging.

So far all we have is DS8 vs. "learning to ride a bicycle" round deux.

Good to know. Nix that, then!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Gracious, I haven't bought anything yet. But I do think DS is getting HIve, Settlers of Catan, and Qbitz. Building toys still happen every Xmas here, too, and I'm thinking of Zoob this year. DD wants a really great set of colored pencils...otherwise, IDK. Have also considered a slackline.

I wouldn't have bought anything yet, either, but for a sale yesterday on items I had in mind.

22B Offline
    In case anyone's wondering, it is actually okay not to buy your kids gifts for Xmas, or any other event. Just provide them with what they need, and ignore the calendar.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by PanzerAzelSaturn
    In case it helps, DS4 loves item #2 on original list. We have two copies of Robot Turtles from the Kickstarter (we gave away the other 2 we got.) The challenge is quite variable and can be made hard enough to even challenge adults (a big puzzle where you have to lay out all of the instructions at once, with a time limit smile

It looked like a game with some embedded growth. Thanks for your thoughts!

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by 22B
    In case anyone's wondering, it is actually okay not to buy your kids gifts for Xmas, or any other event. Just provide them with what they need, and ignore the calendar.

Of course, but for those so inclined, there is equally nothing wrong with saving up for a few months for a special event.

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    DD11s Chromebook died one month after the warranty expired (insert cursing here). She just really needs a laptop of her own for schoolwork. We have our eye on a convertible touch-tablet (with the attachable keyboard). We'd get it now except we're hoping to catch a holiday sale.

Otherwise she's at that age where she'd much rather have Amazon gift cards to indulge her various fandoms or cash to get clothes and shoes.

We also have a favorite live event we see every year as part of our holiday traditions.

N
    N
    DS12 has been pining over a thing called "Ferrofluid" on the Vat19 site, so if he doesn't manage to buy it before then, he'll get that. It's "nano-sized magnetic particles" in a glass bottle.

I also found something fascinating that I plan to get both kiddos for Christmas, which I'm positive I will like and pretty sure they will like. smile It seems to be sold under different names, but the most common is Kinetic Sand.

DD8 is getting a Nintendo 3DS so she can stop borrowing her brother's.

I haven't thought beyond that yet.

Val Offline
    Early gift: my daughter wanted a stray kitten who walked into our house. He's been here for a month (along with another stray who came with him).

They're so cute, who could say no? You pick the little guy up and he doesn't want to get down. He never puts his claws out when he bats at you. And the other one has gorgeous golden eyes and silent meows at you.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Originally Posted by aeh
    I saw the following at Costco some time ago, that your DS might like, if he's into anatomy: something like a big board book with clear plastic pages, each of which has a different human anatomical system. E.g., the first page is the skin/hair/nails/outside, then a page with musculature, a page with the nervous system, etc., down to the last page, with the skeleton. He might get more out of that than a model with no additional information on it. I think it's called Uncover the Human Body.

Thanks aeh! Great tip! I'm going to look into that.

Is this the edition you saw?
    http://www.amazon.com/Uncover-Human-Body-An-Book/dp/1571457895

Looks like it!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    I also found something fascinating that I plan to get both kiddos for Christmas, which I'm positive I will like and pretty sure they will like. smile It seems to be sold under different names, but the most common is Kinetic Sand.

I don't know if you have a brand in mind, but we have Sand Alive and DS enjoys it. The only snag is it is difficult to get out of clothing short of laundering them, but I imagine that is less of an issue for more mature children.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM