Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: aquinas Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/03/14 05:42 AM
Just thought it would be fun to get the ball rolling with plans for Christmas/holiday gifts. The following is a list of gifts for DS3 that we are aiming to complete with grandparents' help:

1. Magformers kits: small and large -- bought

2. Robot turtles programming game -- bought

3. Kanoodle puzzle -- bought

4. Haynes internal combustion engine model kit <-- DH recommends saving for a later year.

5. Skeletons in the closet game <-- DH recommends saving for a later year.

6. True to life human xrays

7. Mini human anatomical model <--maybe. I can see him loving it for a day, then abandoning it. I'm on the fence.

8. A few simple card games

9. A slinky (for some reason, he loves doing experiments with one my in-laws own)

10. Some books, particularly this one on how machines work -- bought a few "We Both Read" titles, more to come. I have an unquenchable children's literature habit.

11. Funky pajamas

12. A Notre Dame toque (DH is an Irish fanatic)

13. Urinalysis test strips. <-- this sounds random, but I think this might be how I successfully motivate DS to toilet train. At the very least, he'll be able to tell stories about that time he received urinalysis strips in his stocking when he was 3...!

14. A tinkering mechanic's kit

FYI for Canadians: Indigo has a 20% off sale through Nov 5 on toys, but Legos sadly aren't included.
So far:

DS7
Metal detector
Shark tooth science kit
Lego

DD9
Origami kit
zip line kit for back yard
books

Posted By: aeh Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/03/14 04:44 PM
I saw the following at Costco some time ago, that your DS might like, if he's into anatomy: something like a big board book with clear plastic pages, each of which has a different human anatomical system. E.g., the first page is the skin/hair/nails/outside, then a page with musculature, a page with the nervous system, etc., down to the last page, with the skeleton. He might get more out of that than a model with no additional information on it. I think it's called Uncover the Human Body.
Posted By: notnafnaf Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/03/14 05:10 PM
currently:
DS4
- LEGO sets (some bigger sets and some tiny ones for stocking - his current obsession)
- Dino globonz set
- Archiquest Empire State Building set (he is into NYC, thanks to Balto and Cricket in Times Square)
- Olaf plush toy for stocking

DD2
- handmade baby doll
- a set of cute "teeny tiny" soft dolls for stocking
- jigsaw puzzles in purses (she asked for pink puzzles, sigh)
- cute summer butterfly/bug tin tea set
- (on the fence) pretend play table set for doll(s) -> my concern is "choking hazard" issue, so I may save it for her birthday
- (and yes, I am caving to her princess craze) one pink duplo set of her favorite "princess"

and I am stocking up wooden toy paint sets and art stuff for rainy and home days for both kids, and bunch of Magic School Bus science kits to try for the holidays when school is out for DS and on rainy days. DS loves, loves Magic School Bus books so I am curious to try these out. And I saw over the weekend on zulily a bunch of national geographic books (early readers and such) that I ended up ordering too.
Posted By: HelloBaby Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/03/14 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by notnafnaf
(and yes, I am caving to her princess craze) one pink duplo set of her favorite "princess"

Ditto!

I am in the STEM field, and started to learn how to dress more femininely in my early 30s. However, DD3 is all about princess, pink, pretty, etc.

I am a little overwhelmed about all the girliness.
Posted By: aquinas Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/03/14 06:03 PM
DS loves, loves Magic School Bus books so I am curious to try these out. And I saw over the weekend on zulily a bunch of national geographic books (early readers and such) that I ended up ordering too.

Let me know how the kits go over! DS loves MSB books.

If you like the Nat Geo early readers, the series is featured prominently in the Reading Rainbow app. If you're interested, I'd recommend a one-month membership for $10 first to determine whether the collection is sufficiently interesting to merit the $50 or $60 annual membership.
Posted By: aquinas Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/03/14 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by aeh
I saw the following at Costco some time ago, that your DS might like, if he's into anatomy: something like a big board book with clear plastic pages, each of which has a different human anatomical system. E.g., the first page is the skin/hair/nails/outside, then a page with musculature, a page with the nervous system, etc., down to the last page, with the skeleton. He might get more out of that than a model with no additional information on it. I think it's called Uncover the Human Body.

Thanks aeh! Great tip! I'm going to look into that.

Is this the edition you saw?
http://www.amazon.com/Uncover-Human-Body-An-Book/dp/1571457895
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/03/14 07:06 PM
In case it helps, DS4 loves item #2 on original list. We have two copies of Robot Turtles from the Kickstarter (we gave away the other 2 we got.) The challenge is quite variable and can be made hard enough to even challenge adults (a big puzzle where you have to lay out all of the instructions at once, with a time limit smile
Posted By: Zen Scanner Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/03/14 07:20 PM
I'll mention that Skeletons in the Closet got two plays out of it when DS was 4. Once he had names on all the bones and built a skeleton, the game play ended up a bit unengaging.

So far all we have is DS8 vs. "learning to ride a bicycle" round deux.
Posted By: ultramarina Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/03/14 08:31 PM
Gracious, I haven't bought anything yet. But I do think DS is getting HIve, Settlers of Catan, and Qbitz. Building toys still happen every Xmas here, too, and I'm thinking of Zoob this year. DD wants a really great set of colored pencils...otherwise, IDK. Have also considered a slackline.
Posted By: aquinas Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/03/14 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
I'll mention that Skeletons in the Closet got two plays out of it when DS was 4. Once he had names on all the bones and built a skeleton, the game play ended up a bit unengaging.

So far all we have is DS8 vs. "learning to ride a bicycle" round deux.

Good to know. Nix that, then!
Posted By: aquinas Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/03/14 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by ultramarina
Gracious, I haven't bought anything yet. But I do think DS is getting HIve, Settlers of Catan, and Qbitz. Building toys still happen every Xmas here, too, and I'm thinking of Zoob this year. DD wants a really great set of colored pencils...otherwise, IDK. Have also considered a slackline.

I wouldn't have bought anything yet, either, but for a sale yesterday on items I had in mind.
Posted By: 22B Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/03/14 08:38 PM
In case anyone's wondering, it is actually okay not to buy your kids gifts for Xmas, or any other event. Just provide them with what they need, and ignore the calendar.
Posted By: aquinas Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/03/14 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by PanzerAzelSaturn
In case it helps, DS4 loves item #2 on original list. We have two copies of Robot Turtles from the Kickstarter (we gave away the other 2 we got.) The challenge is quite variable and can be made hard enough to even challenge adults (a big puzzle where you have to lay out all of the instructions at once, with a time limit smile

It looked like a game with some embedded growth. Thanks for your thoughts!
Posted By: aquinas Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/03/14 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by 22B
In case anyone's wondering, it is actually okay not to buy your kids gifts for Xmas, or any other event. Just provide them with what they need, and ignore the calendar.

Of course, but for those so inclined, there is equally nothing wrong with saving up for a few months for a special event.
Posted By: Ivy Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/03/14 09:24 PM
DD11s Chromebook died one month after the warranty expired (insert cursing here). She just really needs a laptop of her own for schoolwork. We have our eye on a convertible touch-tablet (with the attachable keyboard). We'd get it now except we're hoping to catch a holiday sale.

Otherwise she's at that age where she'd much rather have Amazon gift cards to indulge her various fandoms or cash to get clothes and shoes.

We also have a favorite live event we see every year as part of our holiday traditions.
Posted By: Nautigal Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/03/14 09:33 PM
DS12 has been pining over a thing called "Ferrofluid" on the Vat19 site, so if he doesn't manage to buy it before then, he'll get that. It's "nano-sized magnetic particles" in a glass bottle.

I also found something fascinating that I plan to get both kiddos for Christmas, which I'm positive I will like and pretty sure they will like. smile It seems to be sold under different names, but the most common is Kinetic Sand.

DD8 is getting a Nintendo 3DS so she can stop borrowing her brother's.

I haven't thought beyond that yet.
Posted By: Val Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/03/14 11:12 PM
Early gift: my daughter wanted a stray kitten who walked into our house. He's been here for a month (along with another stray who came with him).

They're so cute, who could say no? You pick the little guy up and he doesn't want to get down. He never puts his claws out when he bats at you. And the other one has gorgeous golden eyes and silent meows at you.
Posted By: aeh Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/04/14 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by aquinas
Originally Posted by aeh

Thanks aeh! Great tip! I'm going to look into that.

Is this the edition you saw?
http://www.amazon.com/Uncover-Human-Body-An-Book/dp/1571457895

Looks like it!
Posted By: aquinas Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/04/14 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by Nautigal
I also found something fascinating that I plan to get both kiddos for Christmas, which I'm positive I will like and pretty sure they will like. smile It seems to be sold under different names, but the most common is Kinetic Sand.

I don't know if you have a brand in mind, but we have Sand Alive and DS enjoys it. The only snag is it is difficult to get out of clothing short of laundering them, but I imagine that is less of an issue for more mature children.
Posted By: notnafnaf Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/04/14 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by HelloBaby
(and yes, I am caving to her princess craze) one pink duplo set of her favorite "princess"

Ditto!

I am in the STEM field, and started to learn how to dress more femininely in my early 30s. However, DD3 is all about princess, pink, pretty, etc.

I am a little overwhelmed about all the girliness.

i have the same problem. I am also in the STEM field and although I have not dressed down as far as some women (shorts and flip-flops make me way too cold with the AC), I definitely fall into that category of jeans and t-shirt and sneakers. So the whole pink and princess and girly stuff is kind of like "where did that come from?" - she will insist on pink straws, pink socks, pink paper and so on (luckily, green is her fall back color and she does like Thomas the tank engine).

I only wonder how long this phase lasts...
Posted By: notnafnaf Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/04/14 01:54 AM
Originally Posted by aquinas
DS loves, loves Magic School Bus books so I am curious to try these out. And I saw over the weekend on zulily a bunch of national geographic books (early readers and such) that I ended up ordering too.

Let me know how the kits go over! DS loves MSB books.

If you like the Nat Geo early readers, the series is featured prominently in the Reading Rainbow app. If you're interested, I'd recommend a one-month membership for $10 first to determine whether the collection is sufficiently interesting to merit the $50 or $60 annual membership.

I will let you know how those MSB kits work out. Some looked pretty neat so I am curious to see what they are like once they come.
Posted By: madeinuk Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/04/14 02:14 AM
For those with iPads there is a tremendous app called Visible Body that my DD loves even though we don't have everything switched on as it can get pricey for every single detail.
Posted By: Platypus101 Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/04/14 02:50 AM
A shopping thought - My saving grace when my wee girl became (on the basis of exposure to a single sippy cup) utterly obsessed with all things Disney princess, was the Princess and the Frog. Good New Orleans jazz, a story you're not horrified to expose your daughter to, and the ostensibly princess movie is actually all about frogs and alligators romping though a swamp - the gang of older brothers loved it as much as DD and her friends.

P.S. The first time DH had one-on-one time with 1 year old DD, they headed to the drug store, loaded up on nail polish and did a full manicure and pedicure. DH responded to my astonishment with "well - *someone* has to teach her to be a girl - and you don't know how!"

He still does her hair and nails - she's almost 8.
Posted By: DrummerLiz Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/04/14 03:55 AM
I've been slowly gathering supplies for my DS6 to create an invention box. I have a large plastic bin that I am filling with many types of fabric remnants, chip bag clips (he uses clips and fabric to make costumes for plays and it's become quite open ended), plastic tubes, containers, shiny rocks, thrift store objects, washers, bolts... You get the idea. I think he's going to freak out! And, at least I have some way to contain the invention parts that end up all over our house!
Also, Raspberri Pi kit, solar radio with hand crank, magic kit and quite a few books. I'm sure he'll get some Lego and science kits from relatives.

He still plays weekly with the Thames and Kosmos Solar kit he got this summer.
DD is getting, for Great Pumpkin through Xmas...
Rip the Page and Don't Forget to Write, which so far seem big hits
Harry Potter Legos (secondhand but nice!)
Hogwarts library books
Child's introduction to art (she loves the poetry one)
Scratch programming book
Canvasses and paint brushes
Lip shimmer. Which I only mention because of the girly-girl discussion wink
And odds and ends.

DS is getting baseball stuff, books, and a kind of Montessori math block game because he loves the ones we've been handed down. Oh and he got a toy clock because he's in love with them.
Posted By: NikiHarp Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/08/14 07:16 PM
DS8 has just asked for a programmable robot/toy. Has anyone found one that works well without being $300+?
Posted By: indigo Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/09/14 06:24 AM
For history buffs: Constitution Quest game, which asks, "What's Your Constitutional IQ?"
Amazon shows 18 customer reviews which consist of 17 5-star ratings and 1 4-star rating.
Posted By: Dude Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/10/14 04:59 PM
DD9 is ramping up her gymnastics craze, and wants to turn her playroom into a gymnasium this Christmas. Her entire list so far, which she has posted on her bedroom door for our convenience:

- Mats
- Balance beam
- Bars
Posted By: Barbus Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/10/14 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by NikiHarp
DS8 has just asked for a programmable robot/toy. Has anyone found one that works well without being $300+?

It depends on how much you want to spend, where you live and what you want to robot to do. You can sometimes find a Lego Mindstorms on Craigslist for half price (slightly older models).

You can also take a look at this: http://www.razorrobotics.com/robot-kits/
Posted By: indigo Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/11/14 10:05 AM
For families who may be considering purchasing gifts for donating at non-profits, charities, schools, hospitals, etc...

To understand and meet needs, contacting an organization may be helpful, as storage space can be scarce. Some organizations may post their requests or wish-lists on their website.

In general, crayon donations may be high,
donations for children age 3-10 may be common,
donations for infants to age 3 may be less common,
donations for teens may be scarce.

Sometimes teens ask for a boxed activity: a teen-level art set, a knitting kit, science set, game, popular book, etc something to keep them mentally and physically occupied while learning something new: a gift which represents hope, self-improvement, betterment.

Kits, books, and items in even-sized stackable boxes may be easiest to store and transport (as well as to wrap, when that may be a consideration). Oversized or odd-shaped items may present storage, handling, and transporting difficulties.

Many organizations do not accept or distribute donations of toys which depict violence in any way. This may include swords, guns, dart guns, some action figures including toys which may be popular at the moment (Halo, Thor, Ninja Turtles).

This year I've seen an increase in requests for hats, scarves, mittens and gloves. For general wear, fleece is often warmer than knit goods which may allow the wind to pass through. Some families find neck gaiters such as Turtle Fur neck warmers to be a safer scarf alternative.
Posted By: madeinuk Re: Christmas/holiday gifts (2014 redux) - 11/18/14 02:02 PM
I think that several here will appreciate this link ( banned toys - including radioactive material (1951)) basically, what to NOT to put in the stocking:-

Banned toy museum
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum