Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    T
    T
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    I understand that you probably didn't mean it this way, because of a difference between usage in British and American English, but please, in case any readers ever visit the UK or talk to British people, be aware that the term "spaz" is EXTREMELY offensive in British English. Really, extremely. I'm kind of shaking even though I know about the dialect thing.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spastic

I don't think it's a difference in usage as much as more awareness and activism in one country as opposed to another. Like how the R word used to be used this way in the US and now isn't any more because people have become aware.

P
    P
    I'm in NZ. I don't find spaz particularly offensive but as an adult I wouldn't use it.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Tallulah
    I don't think it's a difference in usage as much as more awareness and activism in one country as opposed to another. Like how the R word used to be used this way in the US and now isn't any more because people have become aware.

Yes. Most people in the disability community would regard it as equally offensive to the R word.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Yes. Most people in the disability community would regard it as equally offensive to the R word.
    Which one? "Retard" has long been used as an insult, but "retardate" was used for even longer as a technical term for people who are mentally retarded, as can be verified by searching "retardate" in Google Scholar. The scientists who published papers about the mentally retarded were trying to help them. Sensitivity about language can be carried too far.

Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Originally Posted by Tallulah

Well, mental retardation is not in the DSM-V, so it's dead and buried along with Asperger's syndrome.

As I have had to explain to clients, "I am trying to prove that your son is mentally retarded. I don't care if you don't like that phrase, because that is what I need to prove. If he is mentally retarded, he wins. If he is not mentally retarded, he loses. You don't get a vote on the words I have to use."

At least I don't have to say that anymore.

I've also had opposing counsel complain about how many times I used that phrase in a brief.

Opposing counsel's brief in that particular case was determined to be somewhat unpersuasive.

I don't think it's a difference in usage as much as more awareness and activism in one country as opposed to another.
    No, it really is a difference in usage. Until quite recently, "spastic" was a commonly used term in the UK for cerebral palsy. In the U.S., "spaz" became detached from its etymology decades ago. More here.

Last edited by MegMeg; 08/07/14 10:56 AM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM