Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 404 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
    Originally Posted by Lorel
    Four or five points may push a gifted child into HG or an EG child into PG territory, but it will not make an average kid into a genius. Otherwise, people of the US born in the last hundred years or so would be the stupidest people in history.

ROFL! You mean they aren't?!

grin

(See above spam for evidence, unless our beloved moderator has already removed it for us, bless him!)

Kriston
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    So which came first the chicken or the egg?
    Are kids who are higher iq disproportionately receiving breast milk?
    Or are more high iq moms choosing to breastfeed?

We'd have to see the data. Changes at the margin can skew results!

First set 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
    Second set: 2,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

The only difference is the 1 became a 2.

Point taken. smile

We went 2.5 years for ds8, 2 years for dd2.
    I had to pump for a while when ds was 2 mos., due to surgery, but got back to it nearly immediately afterwards. Despite dr's recommendation to just stop. I sent that doctor away.

I recently weaned dd when she hit her tooth really hard and had to get away from everything that she might suck or pull on with her teeth while it healed up.

I BF DD8 for 13 months and DD5 for 11 months. Both weaned themselves. It was a very natural process.

I am a big supporter of breastfeeding and gently encourage expectant moms to at least give it a try. Though I understand that every mom has to make the best decision for herself and her family.

My mother did not BF me. I am probably MG though I have never been tested. My mother actually though it was repulsive at first. I educated her about the benefits and she adjusted to my BFing my children. My children think it is just the way things are done because few of our friends bottle-fed their children. My oldest dd rarely played with baby dolls, but when she did she would lift her shirt up to feed her baby like Mommy did.

My DH was also not BF. He is probably PG. He is the youngest of 6 children. All of them were BF except him. His ped. told his mother not to BF because he was jaundice. I wonder if others will look back in 30 years and see us as ignorant as we see those 30 years before us?

Although I am a big proponent of BF, I will admit that it was taxing. I had an oversupply issue, which made it quite difficult to seemlessly BF in public. I was always envious of mom's who could BF in public without needing all the additional paraphernalia to stay dry. Also my kiddos would never take a bottle so I was chained to them for about the first 6 months.

My biggest problem with DD8 was that she was so slow. I'm sure I have other posts describing how slow she is about everything. When she was about 3 months old I logged how much time I spent BFing her--8 hours a day!!! Before my second child was born, I insisted that my DH buy us a DVR. I did not want to spend 8 hours a day at the mercy of whatever was on TV at the time. My second dd only BF about 15-20 minutes at a time, but I still love having a DVR. smile

texas summer: Times sure have changed. I had two kids with jaundice and I was told to nurse them every 1.5-2hrs around the clock to help remove the bilirubin. But even while I was nursing my jaundiced baby, other women were being told the exact opposite - you can't nurse a jaundiced baby, formula is better.

My friend's DD was the same way - she'd nurse for an HOUR every 1.5hrs FOREVER!! I can't even imagine but she was her first so it wasn't so bad.

Yes I think you're right Dottie. The nurses had me force feeding the poor kid every hour, nursing and then pumping and handfeeding with a tube. Well, went the lac consult came in and saw the vast quantity I had pumped, she said "uh, 5min is enough for him on ONE side." Nurses wanted 20min each side. He was a 35weeker at that and only 5lbs. He was gaining 1lb/week as his growth was compromised in utero so he had some catching up to do. But everyone was astonished that could happen (rid bilirubin, gain so much weight) just on breastfeeding with no formula. Bfing is still thought to be an unknown in this country ... no confidence in it. Admittedly, it was tough when they asked how many ounces he was drinking or you'd read the magazines about how much formula vs solid food etc.

I BF DS29 until 8 months, DD27 until 11 months. When I had my kids, BF was coming back into vogue. My mom BF all 8 of us and it was more common to wean around 6-8 months, when the baby could drink from a cup. So, I felt some pressure to wean DS earlier. He went right to a cup, no problem with that; but we bought a goat and fed him goat's milk since cow milk upset his digestive system and he refused formula.
    DD was weaned abrubtly at 11 months when I got mono.
    DD bf both her girls, now 5 & 7. Her first, my GD7, was 3 weeks early and weighed 3lbs 13oz. There were some problems with the pregnancy, but GD7 was healthy enough. She was also jaundiced but not badly. She started gaining right away and was released from the hospital at 5 days, weighing a fraction of an ounce under 4 lbs.

My kids were huge...DD: 9 lbs, 2 oz and DS: 9 lbs, 1 oz. They were both full term--I went into labor on my due date for each of them. No jaundice for either, but DD (my first) had shoulder dystocia and her clavicle broke when she was delivered. That made breastfeeding difficult because she was in pain. DS had congenital torticollis which made breastfeeding a little tricky on one side.

I'm with you, Cathy.

I read about 3- and 4-pound babies and can't even imagine. I can't help thinking (in a kindly fashion) "Put the little guy back in and let him bake longer!" It must be so hard to have one so small and early. Both of mine were 2 weeks late, and the first had to be induced. (That was a problem all its own...)

Anyway, I had a 9lb. 4oz.-er (22") and an 8lb. 10oz.-er (21.5"). When my second was born, the nurse said, "Oh! He's so big!" I laughed at her because he was my little one! Any wonder I was oversupplied? wink

Kriston
    Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs