Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 115 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by KJP
    DS6 wants to [...] end world hunger using sustainably grown organic crops
    I hope he reads about Norman Borlaug, since the stated means would increase world hunger rather than end it.

He probably envisages coming up with a solution to that problem. He is an extremely young hg+ child not a jaded adult like us.

M
    M
    Ballerina.

Her answer has never changed. It always has been ballerina.

She also seems to want to be the next Jimi Hendrix.

Sigh.

B
    B
    DD4 wants to be an artist or an astronaut or an astronaut artist. She has wanted to be an astronaut since she was 2 and looked up at the moon and said "I love the moon. I want to grab the moon. I want to fly up there and touch the moon."
    Now she wants to go to the moon and to other planets so that "we can find a new planet to live on, because this earth is getting old."

A
    A
    DS2.25 is too young to have any career passions, but he has a heavy mechanical bent. He's forever taking things apart and discovering their inner workings. I can easily envision him enjoying a vocation where design and problem solving weigh heavily.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    K
    K
    At the moment DS5 wants to be a contractor and a realtor. We are selling our house and a vacation home and buying a new house all with the same realtor.
    DS loves to assist the realtor and has learned quite a bit about the business.
    He also wanted be a physicist after we visited the National High Magnetic Field
    Laboratory. Microbiologist, teacher, artist, pianist and broadway dancer are several others he has mentioned in the last year. The year before he wanted to work at the water treatment plant. DS always wants to dress the part, recently
    He wore a sport coat and tie and carried a briefcase to preschool.

K
    K
    At the moment DS5 wants to be a contractor and a realtor. We are selling our house and a vacation home and buying a new house all with the same realtor.
    DS loves to assist the realtor and has learned quite a bit about the business.
    He also wanted be a physicist after we visited the National High Magnetic Field
    Laboratory. Microbiologist, teacher, artist, pianist and broadway dancer are several others he has mentioned in the last year. The year before he wanted to work at the water treatment plant. DS always wants to dress the part, recently
    He wore a sport coat and tie and carried a briefcase to preschool.

N
    N
    Hmm, yes. DS11 wants to play video games, although he's beginning to be swayed toward designing video games -- he is taking a class in it now, so there's hope.

DD7 wants to be a dog. Or a parrot. She said "parrot" for career day at school, and DS thought she said "pirate", which made me dearly wish I had a pirate costume so I could see what her teacher thought of that. laugh

Man, I want to be a pirate. Life is so unfair. laugh

ETA: We've had a lot of the same conversations with DD as Portia outlines above. It's just always been a part of our parenting-- lifestyle choices and their consequences.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    A question I had even before this post is when and how parents should try to change career goals of their children that they find unrealistic. A 6yo is supposed to be unrealistic, but what about a 16yo? Of course, parents can give well-meaning career advice that turns out to be bad.
    Because of this conversion I asked DS14 what he wanted to be and he really had no idea. Not sure if I should push him to try and figure things out more. My sister-in-law helped her boys at some point turn their interests into very specific career goals. The boys seem very driven towards their "chosen" fields and have been doing well in high school. Not sure if they will end up in these directions, but what I do know is both boys seem a lot more driven in high school than my son and are motivated to get the grades they need to go to a good university.

My DD19 did figure out her junior year of H.S. what she wanted to study in college, and I did direct her a bit in her chosen area. I encouraged her to take a particular class in high school thinking she would enjoy it and be successful, and that turned into a love for the subject. (When she was younger she wanted to act.) I am a bit unsure how she is going to turn her degree into a successful career, so who knows yet if it was a good idea.

Last edited by bluemagic; 01/30/14 01:25 AM.
    U
    U
    I've struggled a bit with DD's frequently expressed goal to be a teacher. I think teaching is certainly a noble profession, but an embattled and hard one. She is probably simply looking up to the teachers in her life. I don't really want to say anything against it to her at this age, though I've pointed out that many jobs involve some kind of teaching and that one can be a professor as well as an elementary school teacher (which is what she means). The thing is, she IS actually quite good at teaching people things--which is surprising, given her personality. She has to be in the mood, though.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM