Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 111 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    acs Offline
    Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
    Sigh....I have a scene from a movie I watched in my late teens, early 20s stuck in my head. The memory recently resurfaced for some reason. Anyone know how to purge memory banks - except for using illegal drugs? I'm sooooooo sensitive to movies and so is my DS.

Hi Dazy, I didn't want to ignore this because it happens to me all the time. Torture will cause me huge problems for years, even a hint of torture and it's in the brain totally stuck. There are a couple things that help. Mostly, I just don't got to movies anymore.

But I also realized that I would become frightened of getting images stuck and that this fear only made the helplessness worse. I told DS once that a stuck image is sort of like when you have food caught in your teeth. You have to work it with your tongue and it bugs you, but it can't actually hurt you. It is just annoying. Somehow seeing it that way has taken a lot of the power out of the experience for both of us. Part of the problem is the fear of it getting stuck; get rid of the fear and you are half way to sanity.

Eye movement desensitization reprogramming therapy may be helpful as well. It is used successfully for treatment of PTSD, a much much more serious situation in which memories get stuck unprocessed. Real EMDR is genuine therapy and should be done by someone who knows what they are doing. An EMDR therapist, though, told me I could do a version of it at home that might be helpful. She says to take a moment when the thought is at its peak an then move my eyes back and forth using the corners of my glasses as guides. This is more of distraction than true EMDR, but it may have the effect of un-sticking the memory a bit since eye movement is linked with memory processing in the brain (as in REM sleep).

Maybe this will help. If not take comfort in knowing you are not alone. Somehow I feel a little better knowing that someone else on this board knows what I go through!

Last edited by acs; 06/09/08 05:53 PM.
    K
    K
    We are also having a lot of fun with the Indiana Jones lego game. Very clever and fun!

Also really enjoyed the movie! I'd also love to hear how it went St. Pauli.

OP Offline
    I decided to not take DS4 to see the indiana jones movie until we rent the other ones. If he can make it through them OK, then maybe we'll take him to the new one. My mom saw the movie yesterday, though, and thinks it would be too much for DS4 (and it was too scary for her). We'll see! The lego video game is probably a better bet. smile

thanks everyone for your advice on this one!

K
    K
    Great idea on watching the older ones. This one I did think was pretty intense with the newer special affects. Especially the man eating ants! If he does well with the older ones, the new one might be good on DVD. It's never quite as intense at home on the small screen.

Not to be a bad influence, but even DD newly 4 thinks the Indiana Jones video game is fun! wink The 2nd kid has especially gotten exposed to this kind of thing too early. I think we only had learning games when DS was her age.

Oh kim, those second ones definitely do things earlier don't they? My DS7 started video games about age 3 and I never would have considered that with this older brother!!! He's quite good at these games now I must admit, with much better hand eye coordination though I don't know for sure that the games had anything to do with that.

I'm glad you're enjoying spring where you are!! We've been having almost 100 degree temps so it's not feeling too spring like here!!! crazy

OP Offline
    Update: we watched the 1st indiana jones movie with DS4 tonight. He liked it. It helped that I told him ahead of time what sort of creepy thing was about to happen (I can't believe I can remember this movie so well!) The DVD had a special feature showing how they did the "melting face," which DS thought was pretty cool. I thought it would be good to see the technology behind the creepy parts, so he would better understand that movies are fake. One of the guys who worked on the melting face said, with extreme glee, "you'll have this memory in your head forever!" So, I feel for all of you who can't get the scary pictures out of your head, now that I know the creators of these images are intending just that.

We talked a bit about world wars too. I guess the benefit of the DVD is that you can discuss all this stuff as it happens without bothering the people sitting next to you.

K
    K
    That sounds great St. Pauli. He sounds a lot like my DS!

The picture I can't get out of my head is the one in Temple of Doom where one guy rips another guy's heart out of his chest. I remember being traumatized from that at the time and it is the only part of that movie I even remember. I haven't seen it again so I'd like to see it as an adult to see if it was really as awful as I remember (or if that is even what really happened). SPG do warn your DS about that one. <shudder>

I'm glad he enjoyed the technology behind the making of the movies. I need to let my kids see that too so they'll be prepared for the melting face part. Great idea! smile

...in Temple of Doom where one guy rips another guy's heart out of his chest.

It's pretty cartoonish, but definitely graphic, evil, etc.

Originally Posted by Cathy A
    It's pretty cartoonish,

See that is why I need to see it again. "Cartoonish" is not a word that comes to my mind when I think about that scene...... smile

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM