Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 145 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Z
    Z
    DS decided to spent saved allowance on Perplexus Epic. It is well beyond him, and I can get a bit further but the diminishing returns is frustrating as are the limited sightlines (make a mistake, start over to get to the point where you can work to master that bit.)

We looked at the Twist one yesterday and he had renewed interest in that one.

For building, I think K'Nex is a great way to go because it requires a decent engineering sense to make sure structures will support, that connectios are exposed in the right place for assembly, and many use motors and the finished products (e.g. roller coaster) are fun as built. I had some years ago for my own amusement and DS got the rollercoaster a couple of christmases ago, I ended up building it as he learned to read the manual and get the parts and coach me in my assembly.

e.g.
    http://www.target.com/p/knex-space-...905785#prodSlot=dlp_medium_1_3&term=knex

U
    U
    How old is your DS again, ZS? 7?

Z
    Z
    Yea, 7 almost 8.

M
    M
    Any ideas about a word of the day calendar/ book for a 1st grader reading 5th+ grade level? (I'm worried the adult one will be too advanced or too dry). Thoughts??

Thanks. (Honestly, trying to think of a fun way to introduce new vocabulary.)

M
    M
    GHS, what is it about the Great Red Spot? DD couldn't get enough of it but I too struggled with finding resources on Jupiter. She got frustrated and eventually moved onto human anatomy. I'd love to find a program that would be much like a virtual field trip to Jupiter and many of its moon. Sorry I really don't have any suggestions. frown

I'm glad to hear that your DD loves her Plan Toys dollhouse. I wanted the same one for the module factor but DD really wants the other Plan Toys dollhouse with a red and blue window panes. It makes sense that DD who spends a lot of time being a fairy or an animal these days prefers plain ones over frilly girly dollhouse that cannot be anything else. She might have to wait until her 4th birthday for this though. Setting up a dollhouse with furniture is expensive!

I've been looking into a play tent/fort/teepee and given how she's always building her nest/fort/cave/castle/fairy home with pillows and cushions. I was looking into Magic Fort but they are sold out for the season. Toydle fort seems to be an alternative. Anyone has either of these?

ETA: Toydle shipping is rather high. We'd have to get Magic Fort for her when they are back in stock on Amazon come January with free shipping. I never thought I'd experience this holiday shopping angst. Part of being a parent, I suppose.

Last edited by Mana; 12/02/13 04:09 PM.
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Anyone have this?

http://www.amazon.com/MindWare-4415...F8&qid=1385996995&sr=8-13&keywords=kapla

Considering it as a joint gift for my two builders (9 and 5, will be 10 and 6 in early spring).

We have this, and DD loves it. Just be aware that you are buying 200 planks (in your case. We bought the 50 plank one because we already had a 200 plank set), 2 keva balls (glorified ping pong balls), and an instruction manual. Keva planks are a huge hit in our house, but it is very open ended. It is not a marble run. You are just building with planks.

G
    GHS Offline
    G
    Mana: we have this one & it has provided hours of play (again I prefer just plain vs. decorated - leaves more to the imagination & keeps room looking cleaner when you have other items around)
    http://www.amazon.com/Dexton-Hideaw...&qid=1386031116&sr=8-17&keywords=tee+pee

Sounds like our girls would really get along! When does your DD turn 4? Ours turns 4 in a month

E
    E
    We have a teepee from etsy.com. It used to be the only place DD would rest during the day. It is full of blankets and pillows. She used to listen to audio stories in it. It is her peaceful place.

G
    GHS Offline
    G
    oops this is the one we have… very similar but not exact as the one I listed earlier:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dexton-6-Great-Plains-Teepee/dp/B000EHW35E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_t_1

M
    M
    Originally Posted by GHS
    oops this is the one we have… very similar but not exact as the one I listed earlier:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dexton-6-Great-Plains-Teepee/dp/B000EHW35E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_t_1

I found this on myhabit and they had 20% off deal today so I ordered it. Thank you for the recommendation. I thought I'd go for the building fun aspect of Magic Fort but she really is too young to build structures by herself right now. It can wait for later. smile I'm so excited that she'd going to have a teepee for Christmas!

ellemenope, I saw beautiful ones on Etsy but the one I really liked with shipping was $180. frown

Portia, that tent looks like a lot of fun and well-priced for the size. We live in a tiny apartment so the colors would be a bit overwhelming here but DD saw it over my shoulder and wanted that to be her birdie nest. grin

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM