Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: blackcat Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/15/13 02:53 PM
We already have snap circuits which I picked up for $2 at a thrift store not knowing what they were. smile
DD8 in particular loves those so I should look at fancier models.
She also really likes Thinkfun type logic puzzles/games.
Anything in particular I should look at for her?

I'm at a loss in terms of my 6 year old. All he wants to do is play Minecraft or Terraria or other video games. I have tried Legos and he likes them for a while, but gets frustrated because of his fine motor issues. A lot of building toys just require too much manual dexterity. But he is very visual-spatial. He does like Rokenbok but it is ridiculously expensive.
Posted By: epoh Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/15/13 03:16 PM
This year my kids (DD8, DS9) are both getting a tablet as their big present... so the rest of their gifts will likely be some clothes, a few legos, and maybe some craft-type stuff. They both LOVE drawing, so I'll probably buy several pads of sketch paper and more pencils, crayons and markers. (Those constantly seem to vanish from my house.)

I'm getting them the Kindle Fire tables from last year... I think they are going to be super excited.
Posted By: doubtfulguest Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/15/13 03:26 PM
origami: YES! thanks, squishys!
Posted By: Sweetie Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/15/13 03:37 PM
I think gears gears gears are a building toy that don't take extremely fine motor skills (I mean some but not the same as lego)...if my boys couldn't get something apart or together with them they just brought it to me and I did it and they ran off and went back to playing with it...that might happen once a play session. I think they are so fun for the spatial kids.
Posted By: ultramarina Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/15/13 03:44 PM
If anybody has a GOOD origami book suggestion, I'm all ears. DD9 picks it up pretty easily even with bad instructions, but I'd like a good book. Hard models okay.

So far all I know is that DS5 really wants a Perplexus. DD9 will be getting nice hardback copies of Tolkien.
Posted By: ultramarina Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/15/13 03:47 PM
He also LOVES ThinkFun stuff--any new recs on that?

We are finding that we are ready for quite sophisticated games. Thinking of moving up to the Euro board games, but not sure which to get first. We have Forbidden Island and it has been a moderate hit, but they are ready for something harder.

I will plug our favorite card game, Gubs. You do need to be able to read, I think.
Posted By: blackcat Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/15/13 03:52 PM
We have a large collection of Euro games and the kids love them. Right now they have been playing Aquadukt which involves strategy but doesn't have complicated rules. They also like the kids version of Settlers of Catan (although I suspect DD could play the adult version). DD likes the Downfall of Pompeii and thowing people into the volcano. Transamerica is another good one--not too complicated--the six year old does fine as well. Also Key Largo, Flash Point, Castle Panic, and For Sale. I bought Deadwood on clearance at Target and they love that one, but I personally find it kind of tedious.
Posted By: Gardengirl09 Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/15/13 04:01 PM
Is there a brand of microscope that someone could recommend? Some seem more "toy" like. She wants the real deal:-)
Posted By: daytripper75 Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/15/13 04:06 PM
We're doing a lot of experience gifts for Christmas this year. Cooking lessons, horseback riding, perhaps a family trip.
Posted By: cricket3 Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/15/13 04:09 PM
Blackcat, at that age my DS loved building with anything and everything. I agree with the gears suggestion, DS loved them at that age. Marble runs are great- there are many types and most don't seem to require much fine-motor stuff, DS especially liked the wooden block type and one that has stacking plastic tubes, chutes and other fun things. I would consider regular blocks, too- there are lots of cool types; my kids both liked keva planks (the contraptions set especially). Knex is fun, the larger size pieces (can't remember the name, kind of knex junior) are pretty easy to put together, but there are not as complex (read interesting) as the smaller pieces, and they can be pricey. The smaller pieces require a fair amount of dexterity. My kids liked tinker toys and Lincoln logs, too- good garage-sale buys if you can find them. Your DS might even like the oldies-but-goodies building stuff like sugar cubes and frosting, or marshmallows and toothpicks, or pipe cleaners, Popsicle sticks and glue- we went through tons of Popsicle sticks, and it really helps when they are old enough to use a glue gun. You could even get into paper mâché, clay/play dough building, sandbox architecture, etc. Boy- don't get me started, I feel like I spent years doing this stuff (and yes, DS still does it but much more of it is minecraft and terraria now).
Posted By: 1frugalmom Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/15/13 04:10 PM
Our girls are getting compound bows and BB guns as their "big" presents from us. The rest will be some clothes, games (ThinkFun is high on our list too), and maybe a download or two to their Ipod or Kindle.

Posted By: aquinas Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/15/13 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by 1frugalmom
Our girls are getting compound bows and BB guns as their "big" presents from us. The rest will be some clothes, games (ThinkFun is high on our list too), and maybe a download or two to their Ipod or Kindle.

Those are awesome gifts, btw!
Posted By: aquinas Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/15/13 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Portia
Thanks for starting this thread. I'm at a loss for gifts this year.

Portia, I know your son is developing an interest in the stock market. Does he like physical coins or bills? You could buy retired stock and bond certificates on ebay, which have some neat historical value. At your son's age, I was fascinated with foreign coins and bills and had a beautiful album to display them in.

You could also buy him an ETF, maybe $50 of the S&P500, and monitor it together as a long-term investment.

Just a couple of ideas. I'll brainstorm some more. Is he still into the Civil War?
Posted By: SAHM Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/15/13 07:52 PM
Is it time to size up his bicycle? Musical instruments are also great.
Posted By: Gardengirl09 Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/15/13 09:37 PM
Thanks for the microscope recommendations! I appreciate it!
Posted By: kelly0523 Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/15/13 09:46 PM
My DD9 is getting an ipad (DH won one at a work function he went to, lucky girl this year gets the benefit). She is also getting a standing floor punching bag to practice her Martial Arts, along with a karate belt display case for her belts. She wanted a real microscope and a telescope. Could only swing one so we got her a real telescope since she is currently learning about the Sun and the Moon. A few Lego kits and some American Girl stuff.
Posted By: blackcat Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/16/13 12:20 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions! Here are some things I have on my Amazon wishlist. Won't be getting them all but they look interesting. If anyone has input, let me know.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TGVNHA...olid=3KXX4Q1ZYSJAJ&coliid=I2H4N9MU8XCEQQ

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NR7PN0...colid=3KXX4Q1ZYSJAJ&coliid=I1XMMIXAJ7YI0

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004PQZM3A...olid=3KXX4Q1ZYSJAJ&coliid=I1K4W4WSST74W7

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00720I7TC...olid=3KXX4Q1ZYSJAJ&coliid=I3SL93C8VCNUVQ

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KAZPXG...colid=3KXX4Q1ZYSJAJ&coliid=IE2AS4K3F5H7U
Posted By: Ametrine Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/16/13 12:46 AM
I purchased this DVD a few years ago in anticipation of the time DS would be ready for it: Mr. Bean-The Whole Bean.

Here's an example:
Mr. Bean-Sandwich for Lunch
Mr. Bean Back to School
Mr. Bean-The Exam

He's getting that and a microscope, four-in-one game table, and scotch tape...lots 'o scotch tape, laddie.
Posted By: ultramarina Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/19/13 05:42 PM
Would love ideas for DD9. She likes art, birds, life science, reading, and writing. There isn't much on her list. She doesn't tend to be materialistic, and if she is it's little things, like headbands or tiny cute things, so she isn't coming up with many ideas. We don't buy many books since she is out of shelf space and doesn't usually reread.
Posted By: indigo Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/19/13 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by ultramarina
Would love ideas for DD9. She likes art, birds, life science, reading, and writing. There isn't much on her list. She doesn't tend to be materialistic, and if she is it's little things, like headbands or tiny cute things, so she isn't coming up with many ideas. We don't buy many books since she is out of shelf space and doesn't usually reread.
Experiential gifts may range from travel to museum membership, or even a donation to an organization which helps others (Heifer International comes to mind because you mention your daughter likes animals).
Posted By: ultramarina Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/19/13 06:16 PM
Travel would be out of range and/or a family decision for us and museums are not something we need memberships to in our area for various reasons. A donation to an environmental group is an idea, except that it really drives me crazy to think of adding more junk mail and phone solicitations...a shame that that's what comes to mind.
Posted By: ElizabethN Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/19/13 06:31 PM
How about an art book on drawing/coloring birds? This one seems to be highly rated, but there are many.
Posted By: kelly0523 Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/19/13 06:33 PM

A bird field guide book (for your area) and a nice pair of binoculars?
A bird feeder with a baffle for the squirrels.
A window bird feeder.
A bird bath.

My DH is a big birder and the above are all things my DD (who is also 9) has thoroughly enjoyed. She loves going on bird watching excursions with her dad.

As far as crafts go, The Rainbow Loom is hugely popular with this age group right now. They can make all sorts of jewelry with the loom. They have extensive "how to" videos on You Tube for different types of things you can make with The Rainbow Loom.

A real art kit. DD got one from her grandparents last Christmas and she loves it. She uses the different types of mediums (acryllic, water color, oil, chalk) and has made some amazing art work.
Posted By: ultramarina Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/19/13 08:11 PM
She has alllll the birding stuff. smile Dad is an expert birder.

Rainbow Loom is on the list. She has a lot of art materials already.

I am always looking for good drawing books, though. They can be hard to evaluate on the 'net.

Posted By: kelly0523 Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/19/13 10:20 PM
She has alllll the birding stuff. smile Dad is an expert birder.

Rainbow Loom is on the list. She has a lot of art materials already.

I am always looking for good drawing books, though. They can be hard to evaluate on the 'net.

Your family sounds a lot like mine! Ha ha ha

Does she have a telescope or a microscope? Both were on my DD's list this year, we went for the telescope because she is learning about the Sun and Moon right now at school.

My DD wants a chemistry kit, I might do this for her in May for her birthday.

Posted By: MomC Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/20/13 12:02 AM
My dd10 just finished studying astronomy at school and would love a telescope. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Posted By: puffin Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/20/13 05:17 AM
Ds6 is getting a small brain box set (like snap circuits), a half share in a Lego castle (with ds4), a couple of small craft things, a new shirt and undies and a book (probably second hand).
Posted By: NotSoGifted Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/20/13 12:31 PM
DD9 really wants the Barbie Dream House. I told her she was too old but DD16 & DD18 said you are never too old - does anyone else have a DD who wants this? She also wants a science set with petri dishes with agar and swabs so she can grow bacteria.
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/20/13 12:33 PM
I just picked up some good sketch pads for $1 at the dollar store, my kids always love a big new blank book of pages to go crazy with. These can get kind of costly elsewhere, so nice to see them for a buck. Also graph paper is a favorite (is that nuts? ) smile
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/20/13 12:36 PM
NotsoGifted, my ds7 also wants the barbie dream house, I think the cost I am seeing is pretty high, though (150+?) maybe I am looking in the wrong place. I saw another wooden house made for barbies but not barbie brand for less, with disco ball...so I might go that route. I think I read 6-12 is optimal play age for these, so 9 is probably still perfect for a few years. smile

I am going to ask my sister how much play the kids really get out of it, cause it does seem to take a good bit of space.
Posted By: NotSoGifted Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/20/13 12:42 PM
$150 is the lowest I've seen, so I think you're looking in the right stores. I suspect that DD16 will play with it too - which is a tad unsettling. Maybe I should be glad that she hangs out with quirky bright kids who watch superhero movies and still might play with Barbie...and that she isn't hanging out with the kids who are getting arrested.
Posted By: kelly0523 Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/20/13 12:43 PM
For those of you whose children want the Barbie Dream House, I would skip purchasing the over priced and cheap plastic actual Barbie brand dream house and check out any of the wooden doll houses from Costco at half the price.

http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch...0701&langId=-1&keyword=barbie+doll+house

Kid Kraft is a nice brand. I have many Kid Kraft items and they are all good solid wooden durable quality items.

Plus the houses come with nice furniture.

chris1234, thanks for the reminder about getting sketch pads at the dollar store! DD needs some new pads and like you mentioned, keeping her supplied in paper has been an expensive feat!!
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/20/13 12:50 PM
We were very lucky when ds13 was about 7, a neighbor dad who worked at a printer (big printer) had extra rolls of white paper, nice stuff - the nub ends the printer can't use. We got one roll and it has helped supplement the other paper we purchase, plus you can get one really big sheet and roll it out on the table and several kids can work together. Lasted for years.

I did see those wooden houses, I think they do look much more sturdy. thanks!
Posted By: NotSoGifted Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/20/13 01:02 PM
I agree that those dollhouses look better, but we had the Victorian Playmobile House with lots of furniture as well as my old dollhouse (with some vintage dollhouse furniture). If the Playmobile house or my old dollhouse won't do, I suspect she would reject the nice wooden dollhouse. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of the Barbie Dream House. I have tried substituting items over the years and it didn't turn out too well.

I think we will break down and get it for her. She really wants this to the exclusion of all other things. And DD16 would like it too - she was "teaching" stuffed animals with DD9 last weekend. And DD16 wants the full set of original Scooby-Doo episodes. We have many of them but not all.
Posted By: kelly0523 Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/20/13 01:07 PM
Check out Target for the Scooby Doo DVD's. I got two boxed sets there a year or so ago. If they don't have them in the store, they might have them online. Plus they sell them individually (usually for $5 each) so you might be able to just find the ones that you are missing.
Posted By: NotSoGifted Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/20/13 05:30 PM
I think the combination of experiments and old food my eldest kept under her bed (and didn't tell me about) were likely biohazards. I'll note that about the petri dishes and ask the school to dispose of her science fair exhibit (though I bet they just toss stuff like that in the trash).

I found some places selling the original Scooby-Doo series - there are some boxed sets with all three seasons packaged in a Mystery Machine - I think I'm going with that one!
Posted By: Nautigal Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/20/13 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by chris1234
We were very lucky when ds13 was about 7, a neighbor dad who worked at a printer (big printer) had extra rolls of white paper, nice stuff - the nub ends the printer can't use. We got one roll and it has helped supplement the other paper we purchase, plus you can get one really big sheet and roll it out on the table and several kids can work together. Lasted for years.

Yes -- I work at a newspaper, and we have the end rolls available to the public. Check with any place that prints newspapers and you can probably get some!
Posted By: kelly0523 Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/20/13 06:29 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the suggestion!

Originally Posted by Nautigal
Originally Posted by chris1234

Yes -- I work at a newspaper, and we have the end rolls available to the public. Check with any place that prints newspapers and you can probably get some!
Posted By: Mana Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/21/13 01:41 AM
DD got a Calico Critter dollhouse and it's been just the worst thing ever so I've been looking for a replacement dollhouse and I think this one is gorgeous. I want it for myself:

Fancy Nancy Dollhouse

DD doesn't like it and wants a plain wooden one but I thought I'd share just in case one of you has a DD who is/was a bigger Fancy Nancy fan than my DD.
Posted By: seoiot123 Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/22/13 08:23 AM
For those of you whose children want the Barbie Dream House, I would skip purchasing the over priced and cheap plastic actual Barbie brand dream house and check out any of the wooden doll houses from Costco at half the price.
Posted By: kelly0523 Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/25/13 08:36 PM
Just an FYI, I was perusing the DVD section of Target and looking at Warner Brothers (Best of Warner Brothers) 4 Film Favorite DVD's because they were on sale for $8. Right next to those were Warner Brothers Best of Warner Brothers 4 Film Favorites of Harry Potter. One box had movies 1 through 4 and the other box had movies 5,6, 7 and 7 part 2. The Harry Potter sets were only 9.99 each, so I was able to get all 8 movies for less then $20.
Posted By: kelly0523 Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/30/13 12:44 AM
Just Dance 2014 is currently on Game Stop NEW for 14.99 for any kids who love to dance.
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 11/30/13 11:49 AM
Ooh, that is a good deal, but please read the song list on just dance one carefully; there is one from Katy Perry (I think that's the one) which I am not yet prepared to explain to my 7 y.o....

I did go for the kids version, however.

Also, I know dd7 LOVES to perform, so I got her a sturdy little video camera for approx $70 and a tripod for another $15; I think she will enjoy running around recording things and herself. She still hasn't gotten into editing so I'll still have *some* control. smile
Posted By: kelly0523 Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 12/01/13 08:58 PM
Not sure if any of the kids are sports enthusiasts, but REI has a 30% off any outlet item until the end of today. They have kids bikes, as well as some ski equipment, plus lots more (that is all that I looked at).

You have to shop the outlet section for the discount. No code needed, it automatically comes off when you place the item in your cart. If you don't want to pay for S&H, select the option to pick up at a store. They will email you when it is available for pick up.

Posted By: GHS Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 12/02/13 04:04 AM
My DD (almost 4) is very very into satellites, how cell towers work, and the Great Red Spot on Jupiter. No matter what info I look up on Jupiter's storm she says that that is not enough & she wants more. I told her I don't think that we know anymore about it since no one can go to it. We have watched You Tube videos, tried to read articles about it, ect. Always "not enough" and wants "more". Does anyone have any other resources or ideas of where to find info on this?
Any present suggestions for these areas of interest?
So far she is getting a ton of books (on fairies, pinkalicious, ect. which she LOVES) & craft supplies.

Also... for the child who wants the solid wooden doll house (I'm not talking about the 9yo who wants a Barbie Dream house… I would say definitely get that for her - 9yo is not too old!):

Solid wooden dollhouses can be absolutely beautiful and can leave everything up to the imagination which my DD also prefers. She may be wanting to imagine it pink and frilly one day and quaint and cottagy the next. Here are some beautiful (yet also some expensive) ones. You can find some very very cool hand-made ones on etsy too:

Nova Natural (I wish we could get this one!!!):
http://www.novanatural.com/seris-wooden-dollhouse-set.html

Melissa and Doug (most affordable):
http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-...956844&sr=8-5&keywords=wooden+doll+house

Etsy (lots of options):
https://www.etsy.com/search?q=wooden%20dollhouse&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US&search_type=all&includes%5B0%5D=tags&search_query=wooden%20waldorf%20toys%20dollhouse

Plan Toy (the one we have and DD loves):
http://www.amazon.com/Plan-Chalet-D...6914&sr=8-1&keywords=plan+toy+doll+house

Edited to add: Pottery Barn Kids also has some insanely beautiful and simple dollhouses (expensive of course): here is a link to one of them...
http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/danbury-dollhouse/?pkey=ddolls-and-dollhouses&
Posted By: NotSoGifted Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 12/02/13 12:20 PM
For those of you that are buying the Barbie Dream House, it is on sale (Cyber Monday) for $128 at walmart.com (and free shipping to home or to store).

Yes, I broke down and bought it. It is the only thing that DD9 has been asking for...and she has been asking for months.
Posted By: ultramarina Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 12/02/13 03:10 PM
Anyone have this?

http://www.amazon.com/MindWare-4415...F8&qid=1385996995&sr=8-13&keywords=kapla

Considering it as a joint gift for my two builders (9 and 5, will be 10 and 6 in early spring).
Posted By: cricket3 Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 12/02/13 03:20 PM
Anyone have this?

Considering it as a joint gift for my two builders (9 and 5, will be 10 and 6 in early spring).

Yes, we got it a few years ago, I believe. It was not the hit I had hoped, but it is possible my 2 were nearing the end of that type of building age-wise. It is very open-ended, meaning the possibilities for structures are pretty much endless, but my two didn't do much with it. Perhaps they needed more in the way of suggestions (I think there is a small booklet in the package with some models and tips for different types of building, but it was pretty limited). I do recall that the lure of building marble-run type things was great, but the set was quite finicky- very easy to knock down structures, and you had to align things pretty carefully. My two are perfectionists, and quite good at building, but I found this set being used as supports or "filler" for their other sets. However, as I mentioned, it may be that my kids were moving beyond this type of play- it's certainly nice quality and I thought it would get a lot of use.
Posted By: ultramarina Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 12/02/13 03:25 PM
They are good builders and careful, but I'm concerned about the possibility for frustration with the younger one. He's coordinated, but there is a limit at that age. We have a lot of building sets already, but they have lasting play value here, and not much else does. We are getting past the age of "toys" for the older, though... but she still enjoys construction, especially open-ended.
Posted By: ultramarina Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 12/02/13 03:29 PM
also, can anyone advise on which Perplexus to get DS5? Again, he is coordinated for his age but not insanely so, and can be prone to frustration. Very spatially minded, though. He asked for this toy after playing with it at a party but I'm not sure which one it was.
Posted By: Zen Scanner Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 12/02/13 04:03 PM
DS decided to spent saved allowance on Perplexus Epic. It is well beyond him, and I can get a bit further but the diminishing returns is frustrating as are the limited sightlines (make a mistake, start over to get to the point where you can work to master that bit.)

We looked at the Twist one yesterday and he had renewed interest in that one.

For building, I think K'Nex is a great way to go because it requires a decent engineering sense to make sure structures will support, that connectios are exposed in the right place for assembly, and many use motors and the finished products (e.g. roller coaster) are fun as built. I had some years ago for my own amusement and DS got the rollercoaster a couple of christmases ago, I ended up building it as he learned to read the manual and get the parts and coach me in my assembly.

e.g.
http://www.target.com/p/knex-space-...905785#prodSlot=dlp_medium_1_3&term=knex
Posted By: ultramarina Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 12/02/13 04:14 PM
How old is your DS again, ZS? 7?
Posted By: Zen Scanner Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 12/02/13 04:28 PM
Yea, 7 almost 8.
Posted By: Melessa Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 12/02/13 08:39 PM
Any ideas about a word of the day calendar/ book for a 1st grader reading 5th+ grade level? (I'm worried the adult one will be too advanced or too dry). Thoughts??

Thanks. (Honestly, trying to think of a fun way to introduce new vocabulary.)
Posted By: Mana Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 12/02/13 09:51 PM
GHS, what is it about the Great Red Spot? DD couldn't get enough of it but I too struggled with finding resources on Jupiter. She got frustrated and eventually moved onto human anatomy. I'd love to find a program that would be much like a virtual field trip to Jupiter and many of its moon. Sorry I really don't have any suggestions. frown

I'm glad to hear that your DD loves her Plan Toys dollhouse. I wanted the same one for the module factor but DD really wants the other Plan Toys dollhouse with a red and blue window panes. It makes sense that DD who spends a lot of time being a fairy or an animal these days prefers plain ones over frilly girly dollhouse that cannot be anything else. She might have to wait until her 4th birthday for this though. Setting up a dollhouse with furniture is expensive!

I've been looking into a play tent/fort/teepee and given how she's always building her nest/fort/cave/castle/fairy home with pillows and cushions. I was looking into Magic Fort but they are sold out for the season. Toydle fort seems to be an alternative. Anyone has either of these?

ETA: Toydle shipping is rather high. We'd have to get Magic Fort for her when they are back in stock on Amazon come January with free shipping. I never thought I'd experience this holiday shopping angst. Part of being a parent, I suppose.
Posted By: ellemenope Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 12/03/13 12:14 AM
Anyone have this?

We have this, and DD loves it. Just be aware that you are buying 200 planks (in your case. We bought the 50 plank one because we already had a 200 plank set), 2 keva balls (glorified ping pong balls), and an instruction manual. Keva planks are a huge hit in our house, but it is very open ended. It is not a marble run. You are just building with planks.
Posted By: GHS Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 12/03/13 12:41 AM
Mana: we have this one & it has provided hours of play (again I prefer just plain vs. decorated - leaves more to the imagination & keeps room looking cleaner when you have other items around)
http://www.amazon.com/Dexton-Hideaw...&qid=1386031116&sr=8-17&keywords=tee+pee

Sounds like our girls would really get along! When does your DD turn 4? Ours turns 4 in a month
Posted By: ellemenope Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 12/03/13 12:57 AM
We have a teepee from etsy.com. It used to be the only place DD would rest during the day. It is full of blankets and pillows. She used to listen to audio stories in it. It is her peaceful place.
Posted By: GHS Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 12/03/13 01:42 AM
oops this is the one we have… very similar but not exact as the one I listed earlier:
http://www.amazon.com/Dexton-6-Great-Plains-Teepee/dp/B000EHW35E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_t_1
Posted By: Mana Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 12/03/13 02:41 AM
Originally Posted by GHS
oops this is the one we have… very similar but not exact as the one I listed earlier:
http://www.amazon.com/Dexton-6-Great-Plains-Teepee/dp/B000EHW35E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_t_1

I found this on myhabit and they had 20% off deal today so I ordered it. Thank you for the recommendation. I thought I'd go for the building fun aspect of Magic Fort but she really is too young to build structures by herself right now. It can wait for later. smile I'm so excited that she'd going to have a teepee for Christmas!

ellemenope, I saw beautiful ones on Etsy but the one I really liked with shipping was $180. frown

Portia, that tent looks like a lot of fun and well-priced for the size. We live in a tiny apartment so the colors would be a bit overwhelming here but DD saw it over my shoulder and wanted that to be her birdie nest. grin
Posted By: NotSoGifted Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 12/03/13 12:10 PM
When my older two were young, we bought an inexpensive tent from Kmart. Something like one of these;

http://www.kmart.com/gigatent-5%27x5%27-cooper-1-dome-tent/p-089V005690563000P?prdNo=8&blockNo=8&blockType=G8

http://www.kmart.com/happy-camper-t...32047000P?prdNo=9&blockNo=9&blockType=G9

These pack up to be small for storage, so they are good if you have limited space.
Posted By: Pemberley Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 12/03/13 01:13 PM
For Harry Potter fans I found this Marauder's Map throw on Amazon. They also sell Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans. (I found a box last month otherwise I would have gotten them as a stocking stuffer. I don't think I ever laughed as hard as I did when DD took her first bite of one and it was "earwax" flavor...) She is also getting the Unofficial Harry Potter Spell Book and an electronic version of a 20 questions game about the series. Our big family gift this year is a Wii so she is also getting the Lego Harry Potter game (years 1-4) she has been begging for.

http://www.amazon.com/Northwest-Com...75664&sr=8-1&keywords=harry+potter+throw

Posted By: deacongirl Re: Christmas gifts--elementary age - 12/03/13 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Pemberley
For Harry Potter fans I found this Marauder's Map throw on Amazon. They also sell Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans. (I found a box last month otherwise I would have gotten them as a stocking stuffer. I don't think I ever laughed as hard as I did when DD took her first bite of one and it was "earwax" flavor...) She is also getting the Unofficial Harry Potter Spell Book and an electronic version of a 20 questions game about the series. Our big family gift this year is a Wii so she is also getting the Lego Harry Potter game (years 1-4) she has been begging for.

http://www.amazon.com/Northwest-Com...75664&sr=8-1&keywords=harry+potter+throw

Check out Etsy too for lots of HP stuff like personalized Hogwarts acceptance letters, hogwarts student ID, etc. Last year one of dd's American girl dolls got a hogwarts letter, robe, and wand. I could go crazy!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum