Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 297 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    K
    K
    Just an FYI, I was perusing the DVD section of Target and looking at Warner Brothers (Best of Warner Brothers) 4 Film Favorite DVD's because they were on sale for $8. Right next to those were Warner Brothers Best of Warner Brothers 4 Film Favorites of Harry Potter. One box had movies 1 through 4 and the other box had movies 5,6, 7 and 7 part 2. The Harry Potter sets were only 9.99 each, so I was able to get all 8 movies for less then $20.

K
    K
    Just Dance 2014 is currently on Game Stop NEW for 14.99 for any kids who love to dance.

Ooh, that is a good deal, but please read the song list on just dance one carefully; there is one from Katy Perry (I think that's the one) which I am not yet prepared to explain to my 7 y.o....

I did go for the kids version, however.

Also, I know dd7 LOVES to perform, so I got her a sturdy little video camera for approx $70 and a tripod for another $15; I think she will enjoy running around recording things and herself. She still hasn't gotten into editing so I'll still have *some* control. smile

K
    K
    Not sure if any of the kids are sports enthusiasts, but REI has a 30% off any outlet item until the end of today. They have kids bikes, as well as some ski equipment, plus lots more (that is all that I looked at).

You have to shop the outlet section for the discount. No code needed, it automatically comes off when you place the item in your cart. If you don't want to pay for S&H, select the option to pick up at a store. They will email you when it is available for pick up.

G
    GHS Offline
    G
    My DD (almost 4) is very very into satellites, how cell towers work, and the Great Red Spot on Jupiter. No matter what info I look up on Jupiter's storm she says that that is not enough & she wants more. I told her I don't think that we know anymore about it since no one can go to it. We have watched You Tube videos, tried to read articles about it, ect. Always "not enough" and wants "more". Does anyone have any other resources or ideas of where to find info on this?
    Any present suggestions for these areas of interest?
    So far she is getting a ton of books (on fairies, pinkalicious, ect. which she LOVES) & craft supplies.

Also... for the child who wants the solid wooden doll house (I'm not talking about the 9yo who wants a Barbie Dream house… I would say definitely get that for her - 9yo is not too old!):

Solid wooden dollhouses can be absolutely beautiful and can leave everything up to the imagination which my DD also prefers. She may be wanting to imagine it pink and frilly one day and quaint and cottagy the next. Here are some beautiful (yet also some expensive) ones. You can find some very very cool hand-made ones on etsy too:

Nova Natural (I wish we could get this one!!!):
    http://www.novanatural.com/seris-wooden-dollhouse-set.html

Melissa and Doug (most affordable):
    http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-...956844&sr=8-5&keywords=wooden+doll+house

Etsy (lots of options):
    https://www.etsy.com/search?q=wooden%20dollhouse&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US&search_type=all&includes%5B0%5D=tags&search_query=wooden%20waldorf%20toys%20dollhouse

Plan Toy (the one we have and DD loves):
    http://www.amazon.com/Plan-Chalet-D...6914&sr=8-1&keywords=plan+toy+doll+house

Edited to add: Pottery Barn Kids also has some insanely beautiful and simple dollhouses (expensive of course): here is a link to one of them...
    http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/danbury-dollhouse/?pkey=ddolls-and-dollhouses&

Last edited by GHS; 12/01/13 09:11 PM.
    N
    N
    For those of you that are buying the Barbie Dream House, it is on sale (Cyber Monday) for $128 at walmart.com (and free shipping to home or to store).

Yes, I broke down and bought it. It is the only thing that DD9 has been asking for...and she has been asking for months.

U
    U
    Anyone have this?

http://www.amazon.com/MindWare-4415...F8&qid=1385996995&sr=8-13&keywords=kapla

Considering it as a joint gift for my two builders (9 and 5, will be 10 and 6 in early spring).

C
    C
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Anyone have this?

http://www.amazon.com/MindWare-4415...F8&qid=1385996995&sr=8-13&keywords=kapla

Considering it as a joint gift for my two builders (9 and 5, will be 10 and 6 in early spring).

Yes, we got it a few years ago, I believe. It was not the hit I had hoped, but it is possible my 2 were nearing the end of that type of building age-wise. It is very open-ended, meaning the possibilities for structures are pretty much endless, but my two didn't do much with it. Perhaps they needed more in the way of suggestions (I think there is a small booklet in the package with some models and tips for different types of building, but it was pretty limited). I do recall that the lure of building marble-run type things was great, but the set was quite finicky- very easy to knock down structures, and you had to align things pretty carefully. My two are perfectionists, and quite good at building, but I found this set being used as supports or "filler" for their other sets. However, as I mentioned, it may be that my kids were moving beyond this type of play- it's certainly nice quality and I thought it would get a lot of use.

U
    U
    They are good builders and careful, but I'm concerned about the possibility for frustration with the younger one. He's coordinated, but there is a limit at that age. We have a lot of building sets already, but they have lasting play value here, and not much else does. We are getting past the age of "toys" for the older, though... but she still enjoys construction, especially open-ended.

U
    U
    also, can anyone advise on which Perplexus to get DS5? Again, he is coordinated for his age but not insanely so, and can be prone to frustration. Very spatially minded, though. He asked for this toy after playing with it at a party but I'm not sure which one it was.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM