Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 222 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    U
    U
    Travel would be out of range and/or a family decision for us and museums are not something we need memberships to in our area for various reasons. A donation to an environmental group is an idea, except that it really drives me crazy to think of adding more junk mail and phone solicitations...a shame that that's what comes to mind.

E
    E
    How about an art book on drawing/coloring birds? This one seems to be highly rated, but there are many.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Would love ideas for DD9. She likes art, birds, life science, reading, and writing. There isn't much on her list. She doesn't tend to be materialistic, and if she is it's little things, like headbands or tiny cute things, so she isn't coming up with many ideas. We don't buy many books since she is out of shelf space and doesn't usually reread.

A bird field guide book (for your area) and a nice pair of binoculars?
    A bird feeder with a baffle for the squirrels.
    A window bird feeder.
    A bird bath.

My DH is a big birder and the above are all things my DD (who is also 9) has thoroughly enjoyed. She loves going on bird watching excursions with her dad.

As far as crafts go, The Rainbow Loom is hugely popular with this age group right now. They can make all sorts of jewelry with the loom. They have extensive "how to" videos on You Tube for different types of things you can make with The Rainbow Loom.

A real art kit. DD got one from her grandparents last Christmas and she loves it. She uses the different types of mediums (acryllic, water color, oil, chalk) and has made some amazing art work.

Last edited by kelly0523; 11/19/13 11:34 AM.
    U
    U
    She has alllll the birding stuff. smile Dad is an expert birder.

Rainbow Loom is on the list. She has a lot of art materials already.

I am always looking for good drawing books, though. They can be hard to evaluate on the 'net.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    She has alllll the birding stuff. smile Dad is an expert birder.

Rainbow Loom is on the list. She has a lot of art materials already.

I am always looking for good drawing books, though. They can be hard to evaluate on the 'net.

Your family sounds a lot like mine! Ha ha ha

Does she have a telescope or a microscope? Both were on my DD's list this year, we went for the telescope because she is learning about the Sun and Moon right now at school.

My DD wants a chemistry kit, I might do this for her in May for her birthday.

M
    M
    My dd10 just finished studying astronomy at school and would love a telescope. Does anyone have any suggestions?

P
    P
    Ds6 is getting a small brain box set (like snap circuits), a half share in a Lego castle (with ds4), a couple of small craft things, a new shirt and undies and a book (probably second hand).

N
    N
    DD9 really wants the Barbie Dream House. I told her she was too old but DD16 & DD18 said you are never too old - does anyone else have a DD who wants this? She also wants a science set with petri dishes with agar and swabs so she can grow bacteria.

I just picked up some good sketch pads for $1 at the dollar store, my kids always love a big new blank book of pages to go crazy with. These can get kind of costly elsewhere, so nice to see them for a buck. Also graph paper is a favorite (is that nuts? ) smile

NotsoGifted, my ds7 also wants the barbie dream house, I think the cost I am seeing is pretty high, though (150+?) maybe I am looking in the wrong place. I saw another wooden house made for barbies but not barbie brand for less, with disco ball...so I might go that route. I think I read 6-12 is optimal play age for these, so 9 is probably still perfect for a few years. smile

I am going to ask my sister how much play the kids really get out of it, cause it does seem to take a good bit of space.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM