Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 161 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    lulu3 #175347 11/20/13 04:44 AM
    N
    N
    Back to the OP's question - yes, you can prep but it only helps so much. Though folks here disagree with me on a lot of things, I think that the answers indicate that most folks plateau on the SAT score at some point, which means that prep can't get most kids to a 2400.

I think that everyone here can be "right" with their views of the SAT and ACT - different folks, different learning styles, different test-taking abilities means that what is easier for one person might not work that way for another.

A few folks said that the math sections didn't show their kid's true ability, and we saw that too. However, it showed my eldest to be good at math, even though that is her weakest subject. She is happy that she will have completed her college math requirement this semester with Calculus I (though she may take Statistics - she sees the value in that for any major). With a 730 on the SAT math and a 35 on ACT math, the mailings from engineering schools came rolling in - and we had a good laugh about her studying engineering (DH and I are both engineers).

DD18 would say that she preferred the ACT because she got a comparable or better score on it than the SAT. She studied for the SAT while she did not study for the ACT. And though she finished all sections on both tests, she would say that the ACT is cranking out straightforward problems at a rapid rate - something she is very good at doing. I realize that the speed thing is not a strength for everyone, but it is just part of the test. However she is nowhere near PG so she doesn't have the potential of many kids here. As I have said before, my kids would have higher batting averages if they were just a bit faster to first base, but you typically have to manage with your strengths and weaknesses with the rules we are given in many situations throughout life.

HowlerKarma #175348 11/20/13 04:58 AM
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Yes, that one is a perennial problem for my DD, too.

Personally, she and I both feel that the ACT is a far better-constructed test.

I also suspect, as hinted above, that the Science section may parse out as an ad hoc IQ test, much the way the old-old SAT did. At least if it weren't for the 'speed' aspect of things, it would.

IQ tests are timed too now.

Become what you are
    lulu3 #175358 11/20/13 06:06 AM
    B
    B
    The SAT and ACT are supposed to predict (with error) the grades a student will get in college and whether he or she will graduate. A recent study found that two of the ACT sections, Science and Reading, have no incremental predictive ability over the English and Mathematics sections

http://www.nber.org/papers/w17119
    Improving College Performance and Retention the Easy Way: Unpacking the ACT Exam
    Eric P. Bettinger, Brent J. Evans, Devin G. Pope
    NBER Working Paper No. 17119
    Issued in June 2011
    NBER Program(s): ED LS
    Colleges rely on the ACT exam in their admission decisions to increase their ability to differentiate between students likely to succeed and those that have a high risk of under-performing and dropping out. We show that two of the four sub tests of the ACT, English and Mathematics, are highly predictive of positive college outcomes while the other two subtests, Science and Reading, provide little or no additional predictive power. This result is robust across various samples, specifications, and outcome measures. We demonstrate that focusing solely on the English and Mathematics test scores greatly enhances the predictive validity of the ACT exam.

Bostonian #175365 11/20/13 07:09 AM
    K
    K
    Oh great.

lulu3 #175371 11/20/13 08:30 AM
    M
    M
    slight hijack—

At what age are some of you finding your kids ready to tackle/try the SAT or ACT?
    What kind of testing had the completed before taking this on.

My DS is in 5th grade, we really don't have anything planned for the next few years.
    The school he is going to says they would like all their students to try it before they finishes 8th grade.

Bostonian #175372 11/20/13 08:39 AM
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    The SAT and ACT are supposed to predict (with error) the grades a student will get in college and whether he or she will graduate. A recent study found that two of the ACT sections, Science and Reading, have no predictive ability:

Improving College Performance and Retention the Easy Way: Unpacking the ACT Exam
    Issued in June 2011
    Colleges rely on the ACT exam in their admission decisions to increase their ability to differentiate between students likely to succeed and those that have a high risk of under-performing and dropping out. We show that two of the four sub tests of the ACT, English and Mathematics, are highly predictive of positive college outcomes while the other two subtests, Science and Reading, provide little or no additional predictive power. This result is robust across various samples, specifications, and outcome measures. We demonstrate that focusing solely on the English and Mathematics test scores greatly enhances the predictive validity of the ACT exam.

I think it's that they have "little or no additional" predictive ability, over and above what you already get from the English and Mathematics subtest.

Science and/or Reading considered in isolation may well have high predictive ability.

22B #175373 11/20/13 08:45 AM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    The SAT and ACT are supposed to predict (with error) the grades a student will get in college and whether he or she will graduate. A recent study found that two of the ACT sections, Science and Reading, have no predictive ability:

Issued in June 2011

I think it's that they have "little or no additional" predictive ability, over and above what you already get from the English and Mathematics subtest.

Science and/or Reading considered in isolation may well have high predictive ability.

Yes, you summarized the paper better than I did.

lulu3 #175391 11/20/13 10:25 AM
    N
    N
    Somehow Tortuga's post is prior to mine, but didn't actually show up on the board until later. Tortuga, you did a good job of stating what I was trying to say.

As for the Math and English ACT scores meaning more - some schools use only those two sections. I know that is what Pitt did when my eldest applied there (and that actually helped her to receive some merit aid). I don't really understand it, since I would think that Reading (comprehension) would be more important than grammar. It seems that comprehension is more important on the SAT - many schools only look at CR+M, or give less weight to Writing.

As for when to take the SAT - my kids did that in 7th grade. We are in an "SAT area" so we didn't even consider the ACT. One reason I might hesitate to use the ACT for a younger kid is that the pre-HS scores do not get wiped off of their account. With the SAT, scores for pre-HS kids get wiped away in June or July unless you make a specific request to keep the score.

lulu3 #175398 11/20/13 11:27 AM
    M
    M
    thanks for the reply NSG.

You say the ACT scores stick. Is that true even if done through a Talent Search?

tortuga #175403 11/20/13 11:45 AM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by tortuga
    As mentioned in prior posts, the reading section can definitely be an issue for gifted children, because of their ability to see nuance in the questions and answers.
    Is there a way to prep students for this? Is there a way to teach them to respond to these types of questions?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM