Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 135 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    I will preface by saying the half day play based preschool was great for me ds. He is very emotional and social. 3 was his 1 st school experience and he was still sorting out who he could Spanish bs English. We got lucky. 8 kids in the class with sweet kids.

I would definitely approach the teacher about the kid who is giving your ds a hard time. This needs to be dealt with immediately. (Ds did have a problem with 1 boy in 4yr year- lucky not in his class, but saw him on the playground. It was immediately addressed.)

Encourage your dc to keep talking and telling you. Also, tell dc that you are working with the school, because its not ok to be mean (insert your words).

Part of my ds sensitives including not wanting to say mean things (even if they are the truth. Ex: wouldn't tell anyone except me that he didn't like his teacher, cuz it's not nice.) Also, doesn't want to get anyone in trouble, so won't tell. (I didn't find out he was being bullied in k until summer. I was really mad and sad that he hadn't told me.) he also seeks out acceptance from kids that bully him- making things worse.

I have been trying to work on teaching my ds (who is6) that he can only change his response and not what someone else does/says.

This is a hard excitability, but I think make nice, kind people. Good luck!

H
    H
    Originally Posted by Melessa
    I have been trying to work on teaching my ds (who is6) that he can only change his response and not what someone else does/says.

This is important skill to have!

At home, try to teach your DS how to react to the classmate based on different situations.

DS4 is also emotionally sensitive, and I keep reminding him to "mind his own business."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM