Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 141 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Instoyque, Gourab, Jwack, journeyfarther, Clare
    11,505 Registered Users
    September
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    My son was also five when he had most of his times tables memorised.

M
    M
    A boy I know went to a (crazy) prep school and learned the entire times table when he was 4.5 as did the rest of the class. I don't understand the need for this but well, apparently it can be done with enough flashcard exercises.

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    I guess when it's learned early enough it becomes second nature. I bought a poster of times tables when my son was 4.5 and he learned then at his own pace; he might have memorised them earlier than five, I don't know as I didn't quiz him.

B
    B
    Harvard biology professor E.O. Wilson (and inventor of sociobiology, making him one of my heroes smile ) has said in his new book "Letters to a Young Scientist" that some prospective scientists are needlessly deterred by doubts about their math skills.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323611604578398943650327184.html
    Great Scientist ≠ Good at Math
    E.O. Wilson shares a secret: Discoveries emerge from ideas, not number-crunching
    by E.O. Wilson
    April 5, 2013
    Wall Street Journal

For many young people who aspire to be scientists, the great bugbear is mathematics. Without advanced math, how can you do serious work in the sciences? Well, I have a professional secret to share: Many of the most successful scientists in the world today are mathematically no more than semiliterate.

During my decades of teaching biology at Harvard, I watched sadly as bright undergraduates turned away from the possibility of a scientific career, fearing that, without strong math skills, they would fail. This mistaken assumption has deprived science of an immeasurable amount of sorely needed talent. It has created a hemorrhage of brain power we need to stanch.

I speak as an authority on this subject because I myself am an extreme case. Having spent my precollege years in relatively poor Southern schools, I didn't take algebra until my freshman year at the University of Alabama. I finally got around to calculus as a 32-year-old tenured professor at Harvard, where I sat uncomfortably in classes with undergraduate students only a bit more than half my age. A couple of them were students in a course on evolutionary biology I was teaching. I swallowed my pride and learned calculus.

I was never more than a C student while catching up, but I was reassured by the discovery that superior mathematical ability is similar to fluency in foreign languages. I might have become fluent with more effort and sessions talking with the natives, but being swept up with field and laboratory research, I advanced only by a small amount.

Fortunately, exceptional mathematical fluency is required in only a few disciplines, such as particle physics, astrophysics and information theory. Far more important throughout the rest of science is the ability to form concepts, during which the researcher conjures images and processes by intuition.

Everyone sometimes daydreams like a scientist. Ramped up and disciplined, fantasies are the fountainhead of all creative thinking. Newton dreamed, Darwin dreamed, you dream. The images evoked are at first vague. They may shift in form and fade in and out. They grow a bit firmer when sketched as diagrams on pads of paper, and they take on life as real examples are sought and found.

Pioneers in science only rarely make discoveries by extracting ideas from pure mathematics. Most of the stereotypical photographs of scientists studying rows of equations on a blackboard are instructors explaining discoveries already made. Real progress comes in the field writing notes, at the office amid a litter of doodled paper, in the hallway struggling to explain something to a friend, or eating lunch alone. Eureka moments require hard work. And focus.

Ideas in science emerge most readily when some part of the world is studied for its own sake. They follow from thorough, well-organized knowledge of all that is known or can be imagined of real entities and processes within that fragment of existence. When something new is encountered, the follow-up steps usually require mathematical and statistical methods to move the analysis forward. If that step proves too technically difficult for the person who made the discovery, a mathematician or statistician can be added as a collaborator.

http://www.npr.org/2013/06/21/194230822/e-o-wilsons-advice-for-future-scientists
    E.O. Wilson's Advice for Future Scientists
    National Public Radio
    June 21, 2013

FLATOW: Thank you very, very much. This is almost like advice to the lovelorn sort of book, it's advice to would-be scientists. Why did you write this?

WILSON: Well, 42 years of teaching at Harvard qualified me, and I had learned lot about what brings students into science, whether as professionals or as part of their general education program, and what drives them away. And I saw a lot of the brightest young people, the most qualified, potentially, to be in science and technology turned away because at an early stage in their career at Harvard they were just afraid of mathematics, and they were afraid of the kind of rigors that one experiences in the usual portrayal of scientists as white coat people standing at the blackboard explaining complex equations and other ideas to rapt audiences.

FLATOW: Because you talk about your career and about your work with such passion in your book that I few people would know that a scientist could be as passionate and as successful about their work. And it seems like it's a necessary - or it's something like, almost like continuing to have a childlike curiosity about the world for your whole life.

WILSON: Yeah, a passion, commitment to a subject, excitement over adventure, an entrepreneurial spirit. All these are more important than a very high IQ.

FLATOW: And you say there that the Mensa-level people really don't make good scientists.

WILSON: Well, I realize that this is one of the statements that has not proved controversial. Even my slight downplay of advanced mathematical fluency has not proved controversial. I've gotten a large number of responses on that, and almost - well, they're overwhelmingly favorable.

But the one on - I call it optimum brightness. I present it as just a conjecture, but I got it from a principle that I gradually evolved knowing a lot of very successful scientists and from my own experience, the following principle. The ideal scientist is bright enough to see what needs to be done but not so bright he gets bored doing it. And I've discovered as time goes on that some of the most successful scientists in America, the most innovative, have IQs in the low 120s.

And this began - this got me to start thinking about what happens to all these folks up in the 160, 170 IQ range that we hear about. So the conjecture says, well, it's too easy for them. And then that brings me then to the allusion you made to scientists - or that I've made - the ideal scientist thinks like a poet and works like a bookkeeper.

It's the poet, the poetic aspects of science, that seldom get talked about. But I've always felt that scientists fantasize and dream and bring up metaphor and fantastic images as much as any poet, as anyone in the creative sciences - art, the creative arts.

And the difference is that at some point, the scientist has to relate the dreams to the real world, and that's when you enter the bookkeeper's period. Unfortunately, it's the bookkeeper period which leads sometimes to months or years of hard work that too many prospective scientists and students interested in science see, rather than the creative period.

Many people disagree with Wilson, and their responses can be found online.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    I for one love science, but don't have anywhere near the same feelings for math. I didn't have any issues with math until my very scary (Addams Family Lurch-like, but without the personality...lol!) high school, freshman algebra teacher who would belittle anyone that asked a question about something he felt he had already explained (actually he belittled anyone that asked a question at all). He gave oral tests where he would read the problem in his monotone style and we had to write it out. You had to make sure you got it written down the first time because you didn't want to be the one raising your hand to ask him to repeat it. Back then our school wasn't air conditioned and his class was on the top floor. We had fans going, but that didn't help the heat and it actually made it harder to hear him. Needless to say, his style of teaching was not conducive to my learning and I ended up with my first C ever and I despised math after that. I had no desire to take another math class ever again, but I had to take college algebra and struggled through college physics, just so I could minor in a science.

My DD9 is good at math and her gifted teacher agrees, but she has no desire to push herself and claims she doesn't like math at all. I'm hoping for what some others have posted - in that she will come around when the math gets more involved and interesting, but I'm not holding my breath.

Originally Posted by master of none
    DD tested early as extreme math, though had no interest in it. Now at 11, she is loving Thinkwell pre-calc (still doesn't LOVE math though) She is more grade level in science, in her interests, and her understanding. We will see if physics helps, but basically, she makes up stuff to explain things and doesn't care what the actual truth is. Like that people have one stomach for solids and a separate one for liquids. Yes, she has been told, but she just forgets.

So, I'd have to say this anecdote does not support, and I'll comment that it probably depends on the particular area of science.

YES.

I think that this is a fairly insightful anecdote-- and it matches my experience and my DH's too.

Both of us were considered "underperforming" math students (maybe "indifferent" would have been more accurate) until high school, and in my case, beyond it.

I hate math for its own sake.

On the other hand, I love math for problem-solving and exploration in science. I loved DiffEq, and it was an epiphany... similarly, I loved statistics-- again, epiphany and beauty and shining light, singing angels...

Well. You get the idea. I only thought I hated math. I love math. I just hate arithmetic and drill-- who knew?? I thought I was 'bad' at math as a result, though. I mention this because it's a reasonably common thing among people who are born to be scientists. It can lead to a series of self-fulfilling prophecies, however, which is what happened in my case. I have no idea why I struggled with calculus, in retrospect, other than my own mental barriers about being bad at math.

I hated arithmetic. Hated it. I think that much of my problem with math was self-fulfilling prophecy generated in no small part form those stupid timed fact-tests in 2nd through 4th grade. I was NOT a memorizer, never have been, so I was actually working the problems. Needless to say, one cannot actually DO that and finish 60-80 problems in 3 minutes. (I don't think it was actually the hundreds of problems that I recall. Visually, though, I'm pretty sure that it was a 6 or 7 by 10 grid.)

I digress.

DD has definitely followed a similar pattern of asynchrony to me (and DH, to a lesser extent); indifference to basic operations and accuracy in same, better interest in procedural learning and applications, and devoted interest in science topics, and organic, natural exploration using fairly sophisticated thinking and experimental design. She started intuitively understanding the need for negative controls when she was around 4 or 5, and for positive ones when she was only about 7.

She's far more mathy than I am. If anything, though, she's a combination of her dad and me in terms of her academic leanings and abilities.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 08/08/13 08:51 AM. Reason: oopsie. brackets. HTML--BB fail.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    U
    U
    Another one here with early math-fact memorizers (not drilled, either--my kids are just hyper-memory kids and this kind of stuff is a major strong point). DS5 has a lot of his times tables down, certainly all addition and subtraction to 20, though I think occasionally he very quickly computes.

(Uh, so excited for kindergarten. Sorry, offtopic.)

Anyway, DD9 is really good at science but seems only MG in math to me, though I'm not clear how far she could go if encouraged. Her math seems highly serviceable but not an area of extreme ability, but she has a very scientific mind and asks fabulous questions. I think she could definitely be a scientist, but maybe not one where extremely high math is very important. I'm not sure she missed a point on a science test all year, but she definitely misses points on math here and there.

U
    U
    Oh wait, I remember she got confused about mass and volume. Well, half the American public probably doesn't know that.

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I hated arithmetic. Hated it. I think that much of my problem with math was self-fulfilling prophecy generated in no small part form those stupid timed fact-tests in 2nd through 4th grade. I was NOT a memorizer, never have been, so I was actually working the problems. Needless to say, one cannot actually DO that and finish 60-80 problems in 3 minutes. (I don't think it was actually the hundreds of problems that I recall. Visually, though, I'm pretty sure that it was a 6 or 7 by 10 grid.)

I'm happy to hear this from someone!

DD9 has a wonderful memory, but math facts are kicking her in the butt. She wants to work it all out in her head instead of spewing out an answer she has memorized. We haven't been able to figure out why she has a photographic memory for so many things but can't remember 7X8 without thinking about it. She despises the "Mad Math Minutes" and if she has done the same sheet of problems more than a couple times the teacher might as well give up and have her do something else. Once she has made it to, whatever number of problems they think she should be able to do, she is done - don't expect her to push on and try to do more. Oh, and heaven forbid if she doesn't go down each column or across each row in order - there is no skipping around on the page to answer the ones you want to.

I'm just hoping she will learn to enjoy the more advanced math once the school allows her to try it. The gifted teacher started some pre-algebra last year and she would beg me to ask her some questions - "Mom, do some of those a, b, c problems with me." She does them in her head, so hopefully when the time comes she won't shut down when she has to put it on paper.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Great Scientist ≠ Good at Math
    E.O. Wilson shares a secret: Discoveries emerge from ideas, not number-crunching
    by E.O. Wilson
    April 5, 2013
    Wall Street Journal

I know it can be fashionable to flaunt one's mathematical limitations, but E.O. Wilson effort is pretty interesting.

Originally Posted by E.O. Wilson
    For every scientist, there exists a discipline for which his or her level of mathematical competence is enough to achieve excellence.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Please help me understand child results
    by aeh - 09/15/24 07:28 PM
    How critical is school selection?
    by aeh - 09/15/24 06:50 PM
    Weird results for 2nd Grade Gifted Test
    by yoji - 09/13/24 08:25 PM
    A Progressive Assault on Selective High Schools
    by Dakota Pilcher - 09/10/24 01:08 AM