Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by cdfox
    Cricket2 - ds has taken WISC 1st; WJ-III x2. Even Dr. Lovecky felt the scores on the WISC were too scattered and inconsistent to give her a true reflection of his abilities or potential. The first WJ-III came closer, but as I mentioned, ds blew off the math part completely (which drove me crazy).

...I do think eventually ds might qualify for DYS. I think with time, maturity, and concentrating on the special needs, he'll eventually be able to handle a tests and his fear of them.
    A couple thoughts here:

I went back to look at your old posts because I can never keep anyone's situation straight and remember what the history looks like! It looks like you did the IQ testing about two years ago looking at this thread: http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....17421/WPPSI_and_DYS_help.html#Post117421

and wound up with erratic results as you mention here and in that thread:
    My ds took the WPPSI test at 5.8-years-old in July. On two subtests (information and matrix reasoning) he scored 91% but on other tests they were in the average or low average range.

Overall his performance was scattered and inconsistent - so I have no score. I know my ds is a creative/visual spatial type who doesn't always perform to his capability.

It does sound like his academic performance outstrips these IQ scores by a good deal, but with scores in that range, you'd have to see a significant jump in numbers to get DYS level IQ scores. You might, like you mention, have better luck with continuing to retest the achievement and hope that that will work with a portfolio rather than trying to pair IQ with portfolio. 2e kids may have areas that will always be depressed by the second "e" on both IQ and achievement, but it sounds like the WJ has been the closer score thus far. Like others mentioned, you might want to give a shot with the EXPLORE instead, though, as he's getting closer to 3rd grade.

I'd probably focus more on the test anxiety and special needs as you are, though, than worrying about whether any testing you do will net DYS qualifying scores. If you approach it with the idea in mind that the testing is for those purposes (learning how to test without stressing and to gather more info on current functioning), rather than for DYS, it might take the stress off of you.

I think I started to question it because I keep seeing posts on this forum or others about pg kids who were in public schools (being accelerated or not). After thinking about it though, it dawned on me that these pg kids who were in public schools were most likely NOT 2e. That's a huge, huge difference - which can be easily overlooked.
    I do think that is true. It sounds like you've got special needs issues that are greater than those of the kids here who are successfully making it in public schools. My older dd is accelerated in ps and has some of the dxs you mention such as dyspraxia and SPD, but they aren't disabling to the extent that it sounds like your ds' are. It also sounds like he has more dxs. My kiddo has mild issues and, really, the only major problem she has is processing speed not keeping track with her other abilities and we have been able to accommodate that as well as recognize that she isn't going to be able to take advantage of every AP class out there, for instance, not because she isn't able enough but because the quantity becomes an overload for her.

I do believe that the more 2e a kid, the less the compensation mechanisms are there, and the more atypical s/he appears socially, the harder the fit.

75west Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks Cricket2. I agree with much of what you said. The hard part seems to be figuring out when things overload ds.

Since we got the results last Saturday, I immediately dropped any mention or discussion about the WJ-III - until today.

This morning, ds brought up the WJ-III and said that was afraid of being sent to public school (where the test was administered) rather than continued to be homeschooled. He told me that he 'faked it' and that he was mad at me for having to take the test. He said he didn't think it was fair for him to take the test in the first place; I agreed. I thanked ds for his honesty.

Ds and I then had a discussion about DYS, Davidson School and tests. We both think it's crazy that there's only one school in the country for pg kids. I did tell him to forget about the test and that there's going to be plenty of other tests, chances, and other possibilities in the future for DYS or other outlets for him. I said that there were a lot of people who had supercharged brains and not in DYS, didn't test well, or didn't take that test. It's not the end of the world.

After this am, I am more convinced that ds has been in the middle of a HUGE development for the last few weeks. He's been very cranky, depressed, and unpleasant to be around since Wednesday. He didn't want to accept that he does not hold the same authority as me or another adult. He also didn't want to accept the word no.

Within the last couple of days, ds has been able to recognize that 1) there are consequences to his behavior, 2) can identity positive and negative behavior, 3) others are affected by his behavior; and 4) admitted to being depressed and fearing failure. Ds told me that he didn't think about the consequences when he took this test. Wow. Finally.

These are all big developments, but probably more affecting ds with due to dxs and his global delays. I'd like to think that these developments are partly due to the neurofeedback and getting to the root of his problems.

M
    M
    MoN you remind me of the day I picked my 3-3.5yr old DD up from preschool and was pulled aside to be told in hushed tones how badly behaved shed been that day. She'd said no to an adult and then stuck her tounge out at them. I do t know how I managed to keep a straight face. Most amusing was that this was the scope and scale of terrible behaviour requiring parental intervention, she was shocked and horrified... No chairs being thrown at teachers at this school!

75west Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks so much MoN. You've hit the nail on the head. I appreciate you sharing your experiences with your dd. It's not raising kids, but these 2e kids can seem to take things to another level. I'm sorry you had issues with your dd, but it's reassuring to hear another parent go through a similar situation.

MumOfThree - when my ds was 5, he told the teacher in the pre-k/k/1st grade class that he didn't need her to learn and then wrote his own sick note. This was at a structured gifted school. The headmaster told me that ds was exhibiting behavior normally seen in 10-12-yr-olds at the time. Needless to say, my jaw dropped and I was speechless. I laugh now though.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM