Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 132 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Raida Maisa, ns261, daypey, ickexultant, LilyKroger
    11,495 Registered Users
    September
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi all

Found this new wonderful presentation on Pluto. Just came out by the curators from the air and space museum at the Smithsonian. It presents it as a lovely story that Pluto always knew what it was but we don't know. The illustrations are super cute - but the science is first rate - presented really well, not dumbed down at all. Rather like the original magic school bus - some of the science here is more advanced than that, but its less dense than the MSB. And end of book has lots of factual info.

Pluto book

Of course after reading with me and being charmed by it, DS 7 went and got his copy of Neil DeGrasse Tyson's the Pluto files and wanted to read that - I knew it was too easy for him, but still quite enjoyable - there were two or 3 pages of new info for him - but I did immediately think of the 4-7 science crowd here because 2 years ago DS wold have adored this!

Anybody have science book recs to trade?

DeHe

Last edited by DeHe; 06/20/13 06:10 PM. Reason: Forgot link
    D
    D
    Thanks for the recommendation! I recently ordered George's Secret Key to the Universe by Lucy and Stephen Hawking for my space-obsessed son. The coolest things about the book are that it has pictures for those kids who still want/need that, and it's a fictional story with lots of up-to-date space information from THE Stephen Hawking. smile Oh, and it's a series. . .Woo Hoo!

Who knew Hawking wrote children's books with his daughter? My son opened the book and started reading it immediately after I opened the Amazon box. (Am I the only parent here who races home from work on the days the Amazon deliveries happens? Am I the only one who gets such a feeling of joy from seeing that box with the smile on it?)

Last edited by Diamondblue; 06/20/13 08:07 AM. Reason: Title of the book wasn't italicized.
    DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DS LOVED all the George books. They were really well done. Actually I think Lucy Hawking wrote it with Stephen rather than the other way around, and she is wonderful. There is an extra little scene or short story on her website when you get through all 3.

DeHe

George Short Story

Originally Posted by DeHe
    Hi all

Found this new wonderful presentation on Pluto. Just came out by the curators from the air and space museum at the Smithsonian. It presents it as a lovely story that Pluto always knew what it was but we don't know. The illustrations are super cute - but the science is first rate - presented really well, not dumbed down at all. Rather like the original magic school bus - some of the science here is more advanced than that, but its less dense than the MSB. And end of book has lots of factual info.

Of course after reading with me and being charmed by it, DS 7 went and got his copy of Neil DeGrasse Tyson's the Pluto files and wanted to read that - I knew it was too easy for him, but still quite enjoyable - there were two or 3 pages of new info for him - but I did immediately think of the 4-7 science crowd here because 2 years ago DS wold have adored this!

Anybody have science book recs to trade?

DeHe

Do you have a link to the presentation?

DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    LOL, no wonder you thought it was a presentation - I meant - a book presenting a great view of the Pluto story. I added the link to the original post and to here. Wow I didn't make much sense!!

Pluto book

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Mana
    I have another book on Pluto coming to us through interlibrary loan but it's taking forever so ...
    That interlibrary service really goes out of their way to find the books you want. But you have to expect it to take a while when it starts a few billion miles away.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Please help me understand child results
    by millersb02 - 09/05/24 08:03 AM
    Advice for profoundly gifted and imaginative 7yo?
    by Kim Jensen (DK) - 08/16/24 11:31 PM
    Senior in High School - next steps
    by aeh - 08/14/24 04:01 PM
    help understanding wppsi scores
    by lululo4321 - 08/09/24 08:09 PM