Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 206 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #160134 06/14/13 06:19 AM
    OP Offline
    Interesting company this Knewton. Do you think this is the wave of the future in learning? YT-Knewton Tutorial
    I wonder how privacy issues are addressed. Who owns the data mined by their product?

Knewton partners with education publishing giant to bring online learning to millions of students

Last edited by Ametrine; 06/14/13 06:44 AM. Reason: YT video added
    Z
    Z
    I see some bits to what they are doing. Data mining has some potential, but if their underlying learner models aren't right it isn't really going to be as useful as they hope.

I like Carnegie Learning's approach to cognitive modelling and how they approach things.

The future? Absolutely, if not simply the largely unrealized now. I'll be curious to find out what Knewton's pricing model is.

OP Offline
    They are working with Common Core, so I assume the goal is to plug in all U.S. students and then the world! (Que evil laughter...)

I suppose this is why I'm not too thrilled with this. It's one thing to volunteer to be part of the program, but quite another to be forced through Common Core to participate. I heard that Common Core has aspects that use tracking of blood pressure and thought that was strange and I couldn't understand how they could use that information to help children with their studies until I read what Knewton is about.

What is it? Is it like ALEKS, but made by Pearson and Houghton Mifflin? LoL I guess that's one way for the ability grouping pendulum to go full swing.
    What movie was that, was it a Star Trek episode, where the last two people on a planet were a pair of teenagers, so used to virtual reality and the screen that they had never seen another live person in their life. Somehow someone had to get those two togeather to continue the species. They had never seen another person and were glued to their screens which had educated and entertained them their whole lives.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    They are working with Common Core, so I assume the goal is to plug in all U.S. students and then the world! (Que evil laughter...)

I suppose this is why I'm not too thrilled with this. It's one thing to volunteer to be part of the program, but quite another to be forced through Common Core to participate. I heard that Common Core has aspects that use tracking of blood pressure and thought that was strange and I couldn't understand how they could use that information to help children with their studies until I read what Knewton is about.
    http://www.corestandards.org/

This is the common core standards. I see a lot of posts on the well trained mind board where various posters are under various mistaken impressions about the common core standards. Often the mistake is that they think how one school, district, or person has chosen to implement one part of the standards are part of the standards because often articles and websites will present them as such to try to prove their point. The standards are simply goals, skills, and milestones that are the proposed minimum standards for education. How they are met is up to the individual schools, districts, and States how they want to try to reach these standardized goals.
    I am fouling up internet etiquette by stating this instead of asking questions; making statements tends to look like you're trying to shut down the conversation. I originally typed, "I have seen plenty of wingnut threads about the common core standards being something other than a syllabus of minimum standards, but have not seen the blood pressure tracking one yet. Mr. Google is unable to find "common core + blood pressure tracking". I would love to see the source, if you can remember where you heard that from." It's possible it's part of the learning system you linked. It is likely an individual choice somebody used in ther personal implementation of the common core. It's doubtful that it's actually part of the common core, itself. Although I'll admit I've only read large chunks of it and not the whole thing.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    OP Offline
    Perhaps blood pressure isn't used, but what is? Data Mining

Just information for those who want it. Rotten to the Core

Last edited by Ametrine; 06/16/13 07:29 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM