Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 25 of 28 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 28
    Originally Posted by metis
    The rich don't have mortgages. That's my point.
    Wealth is measured traditionally by net worth NOT by income.

My point is that you can pay off mortgages if you feel like it by not spending money on other things.

OP Offline
    The poor don't have mortgages either. Just noting.

Just as well, since incomes below 20K probably don't really allow for "choosing" much of anything to start with.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Executives are paid to make informed decisions about what products to produce and sell, how to market them, where to open offices, whom to hire and how to set pay, how to fund operations, and countless other things. Successful executives tend to be smart because intelligence helps them make good decisions. Increasing profits is what they are paid by their shareholders (including many retirees, pension funds, and college endowments who need returns) to do. Bad management can be bad for workers as well. If executives make bad decisions about product lines, their companies are forced to shrink, and workers are laid off. Business is about serving people.

Why would management care about the company shrinking, or laying off employees? There are countless examples of CEOs getting big bonuses precisely BECAUSE they shrunk the company and laid off workers. Many other times, it happened due to bad decisions the previous CEO made, but the chickens came to roost only after his stock options had already matured. CEOs are making more money now than at any time in history, and the quality of their work is exhibited in the economic conditions of the last 6 years.

The open question is how much the deteriorating quality of the modern CEO is due to deteriorating mental ability, and how much to deteriorating moral values.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Executives are paid to make informed decisions about what products to produce and sell, how to market them, where to open offices, whom to hire and how to set pay, how to fund operations, and countless other things. Successful executives tend to be smart because intelligence helps them make good decisions. Increasing profits is what they are paid by their shareholders (including many retirees, pension funds, and college endowments who need returns) to do. Bad management can be bad for workers as well. If executives make bad decisions about product lines, their companies are forced to shrink, and workers are laid off. Business is about serving people.

Why would management care about the company shrinking, or laying off employees? There are countless examples of CEOs getting big bonuses precisely BECAUSE they shrunk the company and laid off workers. Many other times, it happened due to bad decisions the previous CEO made, but the chickens came to roost only after his stock options had already matured. CEOs are making more money now than at any time in history, and the quality of their work is exhibited in the economic conditions of the last 6 years.

The open question is how much the deteriorating quality of the modern CEO is due to deteriorating mental ability, and how much to deteriorating moral values.

Their employers like what they've been doing. Seriously. It's just that the public doesn't figure into this anymore-- nor do employees. It's about the shareholders and the market now.

Analysts are not apparently very troubled by-- oh, how to put this--

reality as the rest of us know it. wink

OP Offline
    I don't see how the previous example has much to say either way-- since most college students are not financially independent from their extended families, it is generally unfair to group them with families with the same income levels.

It's also profoundly inflammatory, and personally I'm not much into having my chain yanked with the "agree or you're not patriotic enough" line. Not biting.

Instead, now that my allergy meds have kicked in, I'm going to take care of my yard for a bit. Since I have made choices that mean that I don't have "people" for this sort of thing. grin Of course, on the bright side, I also do not have (or need) a gym membership, since pulling weeds is pretty good exercise.

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Their employers like what they've been doing. Seriously. It's just that the public doesn't figure into this anymore-- nor do employees. It's about the shareholders and the market now.

Analysts are not apparently very troubled by-- oh, how to put this--

reality as the rest of us know it. wink

Well, a CEO reports directly to the Board.

The Chairman of the Board these days is, usually, the CEO.

So yeah, the employer LOVES what the employee is doing.

B
    B
    HK, I deleted the post you objected to.

M
    M
    JonLaw,

Someone with a substantial income and a propensity for saving may accrue wealth over time, but they are unlikely to become rich. (statistically)

If you don't have a net worth of almost a million dollars (minus liabilities), you aren't even in the top 10% of Americans, and after a comfortable retirement, there will be little left to secure your children's future. This is why most Upper Middle Class parents (even those who breach the 10% mark) are trying to ensure their children's future through academic achievement.

Now, I would guess that even those parents with enough true wealth to pass on their social class to their children still insist on good schools and such because, of course, wealth can be lost and one wants a little insurance for their children, right?

Originally Posted by metis
    JonLaw,

Someone with a substantial income and a propensity for saving may accrue wealth over time, but they are unlikely to become rich. (statistically)

I wasn't talking about rich. I was talking about mortgages.

M
    M
    Exactly. The rich don't need them.

Page 25 of 28 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 28

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students