Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 360 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    CCN Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Pemberley
    2 days later there was an incident where a teacher (not her regular classroom teacher) scolded DD for "not paying attention" and "looking away". DD got very upset because she had no idea what she was doing wrong - as far as she knew she was "just doing my work.". They were unable to calm her down and removed her from the classroom.

Awww... the poor little thing. frown I'm sorry that happened to her. (Here I am wishing the school staff would be stricter with DS8, and then I hear a story like yours). Perspective sure does help.

It happened again this morning in line up... one of the known bullies in grade 4 came over to DS's line up and started talking to him and a couple of his classmates in line. This boy was dominant, leaning forward and poking one of the kids (not DS). He didn't stay long enough for a situation to develop that would have required adult intervention.

Right after he left, DS zoned out (this happened right when the line up started walking into the school... DS followed along, while still zoned out). I seemed like DS had been over stimulated by the interaction and zoned out as a result of it. (He has an atypical sensory profile, which is one of the reasons the school thinks ASD, even though sensory differences are not diagnostic criteria). That particular episode seemed to be sensory related.

I just wish I could be a fly on the wall in the class all day, so I could watch him and see for myself.

P
    Pru Offline
    P
    DD9 has been said to "lock up" by her 2nd and 3rd grade teachers. The 3rd grade teacher, who was very experienced, said it might be those absence seizures. Eventually as DD improved, this teacher thought maybe it was just DD adjusting to the shock of actually being challenged in school for the first time.

DD does hyperfocus and requires her named to be called more than once before she will be drawn out of a book, for instance. Her 4th grade teacher said there are about 8 students in the class that are the same way.

Reports of this issue have died down so it is off the radar for now.

C
    CCN Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Pru
    DD does hyperfocus and requires her named to be called more than once before she will be drawn out of a book, for instance. Her 4th grade teacher said there are about 8 students in the class that are the same way.

Hmm. Hyper focus has occurred to me as well. In fact, a friend with an ADHD child immediately said "oh that's not a seizure, that's just hyper focus - it's an ADHD thing."

I'm still waiting to hear back from the ped's office about showing her the vid and maybe getting a neurologist referral - meanwhile I want to get a referral to our children's hospital ADHD clinic, which I've heard is top notch.

And on it goes...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs