Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 152 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    Context: My DS6 just moved to our public elementary school Kindergarten 8 school days ago. I had 2 very friendly and accomodating in person conversations as well as 2 on the phone with the principal and classroom teacher before enrolling him (switching from a miserable situation for him in a private gifted school). He is truly loving the new school mostly. This week his teacher gave him a 3.5 grade level book on Dr Seuss to read and share some information from for Dr Seuss' birthday. But as of yet, despite having a meeting before he enrolled specifically about how they would handle his needs for math differentiation, he has received none.

Here is my email to his teacher. I would love feedback. Hoping to send tonight.

------------------------
    N was excited to tell me that he got "book box choice" and read Hardy Boys the last three days at school. He really enjoyed being able to choose that, especially after the "too easy books" earlier. He is enjoying many things about your class and really enjoys having you as his teacher. We have been thrilled to see this along with the smiles on his face and his confidence about being at school at xxxxx growing. We are feeling very blessed to have him in your class.

I do have one concern, however. He is telling me that he still doesn't have "any math options" and that he wants "stuff like 9x9 and square root of 81=9". He finds calendar time counting to 100 excruciatingly boring when his mind is working on problems like 1 million x 1 thousand. He's now doing 3rd and 4th grade math at home for fun and I am afraid that we are going to begin to see behavior issues if he continues without some math adaptations. I am glad to supply some things such as a math mystery game called "Mathomological Liar" (has word problem cards appropriate for self play) or even access to the IXL.com site he has been working on at home. There are also many great sites for playing with multiplication and division facts. (He really enjoys doing things like that.) I do understand that as a K teacher you probably don't have a supply of these types things on hand. I am glad to send in some things for you to consider if that would be a help. I feel a real sense of urgency with this because as time is passing, the window of "newness" is beginning to close and I would hate to see him start on a negative behavior path to deal with his boredom. This has been a choice we have seen with him before when he was required to sit through material he had outgrown.

He was glad to have the Dr. Seuss project to explore and has begun reading his book and sharing facts about Dr. Seuss. Thank you for offering him that. I hope we can soon have a similarly appropriate option for his math needs. Should we sit down to discuss math options again now that you are getting to know him better? Please let me know what would be most helpful to get this addressed.

E
    E
    I only have a couple of comments and please take them with a grain of salt. I am definitely not a seasoned professional as demonstrated by many continuous issues along this same vein with DS5.

He finds calendar time counting to 100 excruciatingly boring when his mind is working on problems like 1 million x 1 thousand.

This sentence seems a little too heavy handed, if that makes sense. In my view you more than make your point about his math ability with your other statements. Unless calendar time is part of math it might not be something that would change anyways. Like I said this is just my impression.

The other thing that stands out is that you offer to send in supplemental material twice and it doesn't seem to flow right. It caught my attention and made me pause while reading.

I wish you luck as I just had this almost identical post a couple of weeks ago. It's not easy!

p.s. I love how complimentary you are to the teacher. I think it's important for them to know when what they are doing is working and appreciated!

Last edited by Eibbed; 01/31/13 06:54 PM.
    K
    K
    I think you sound professional but also warm. I like that you made it very clear that you are willing to offer supplies/help to the teacher. Good luck!

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Thank you both!! It is such a help to have people who understand to bounce these things off of before you stick your foot in your mouth. smile

Eibbed, calendar time is the only math they get in our K so that is their math. They do the calendar, weather, and count by 1s,5s, and 10s to 100. That is sadly it. And you are right about offering twice and flow.

I also asked my MIL who is a seasoned K teacher for her take on my email. She thought it was coming off as a little too pushy and that I really needed them to ASK HIM so that they would begin to understand where he is and that it is coming from him. The examples I listed above all came from my son but better they hear it from him. Here is the revision with her suggestions. Please give me any more feedback you have. I really want to get this piece in place without damaging the positive things we have going so far.

REVISED VERSION
    -----------------------

N was excited to tell me that he got "book box choice" and read Hardy Boys the last three days at school. He really enjoyed being able to choose that. It helped him feel better about things after the "way too easy books" he complained to me about earlier in the week. Thanks for your flexibility with this. He is enjoying many things about your class and really enjoys having you as his teacher. We have been thrilled to see this along with the smiles on his face and his confidence about being at school at xxxxx growing. We are feeling very blessed to have him in your class.

I do have one concern, however. He is telling me that he still doesn't have "any math options" and that he wants "stuff like 9x9 and square root of 81=9". I'd love it if you were able to ask him what numbers he is thinking about or if he has any problems he wants to figure out. He often has problems or ideas he is working on and will sit and work through them in his head or on paper. He usually has several concepts of number work to do each day in his own mind. He loves to do almost anything in math that is novel and on a higher level. We do have some math things that he really likes to work on at home and I'd be glad to share those with you if you are interested.

He keeps expressing to me that he finds calendar time counting excruciatingly boring when his mind is working on problems like 1 million x 1 thousand or counting by 60's or 110's. I am afraid that we are going to begin to see behavior issues if he continues without some math adaptations. I feel a real sense of urgency with this because as time is passing, the window of "newness" is beginning to close and I would hate to see him start on a negative behavior path to deal with his boredom. This has been a choice we have seen with him before when he was required to sit through material he had outgrown. I really don't want him to become a disruption in your class and I see this as a possibility for him.

He was glad to have the Dr. Seuss project to explore and has begun reading his book and sharing facts about Dr. Seuss. Thank you for offering him that. I hope we can have a similarly appropriate option for his math needs soon.

Thanks for the wonderful job you are doing caring for him and working with him!

Last edited by HappilyMom; 01/31/13 07:26 PM. Reason: still tweaking
    E
    E
    I think you made some really positive changes with this second version. It has a much better flow and I get a better feel from it. The calendar fits much nicer when not directly surrounded by the other statements.

I might throw something in that last paragraph about offering to meet if she thought it might be helpful.

It is so hard to believe that that is all they do in math. I know that these kids are kindergartners but geez. I thought DS's math was bad but your DS's might be worse. frown DS was recently moved to 1st grade math and I still have huge concerns. I realized how justified they were when a girl mentioned that one thing she knew about the number 17 was that it was an odd number. The teacher about fell over from shock that one of her students would know that. So sad!

Let us know how it goes!!

M
    M
    I have no advice, but look to see how things work for you. I merely am here to comisirate. I'm sorry you're going thru this. Hang in there.

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Thanks! Yes his new K classroom is only a 2.5hr school day including gym and snack time every day. They don't have time for much. But this is what he needed to recover from the trauma we've already been through this year. It gives us loads of time for the extras he wants to do and requires the least amount of time of suffering through being forced by district policies to remain with age-mates. We can try to rest up and figure out what to push for the next year like grade-level acceleration if we can get it past the rule makers.

My MIL suggested we leave meeting out since I met with the principal and teacher solely to discuss math adaptations 2wks ago tomorrow.

Melessa-- Commisurate is good. It's always good to have commrades in the trenches. smile Better yet would be solving the crises in education that lead us to need so much support.

Last edited by HappilyMom; 01/31/13 07:39 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM