Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    avenlyspray, sobadiet, MelodyLeigh, kristen508, karam2008
    11,451 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    B
    B
    The title has two possible meanings:

(1) Given that your child is a prodigy, how should you raise him?
    (2) How should you raise your child so that he will be a prodigy?

I wonder if the ambiguity was intentional.

DD7 hasn't shown enough passion about anything for a long enough time to worry DW and I that she'd develop into a prodigy, though she's certainly given us reasons to worry in the short term. For a while it was gymnastics, and images of the hours of practice and horrific injuries were flashing through our heads. Then it was cheer and tumble, with the horrific injuries that entails. Somewhere in there briefly was music, but risk-avoidant perfectionism nipped that in the bud pretty early. Now it's dance, and as she free-form dances in the living room every night, we take a look at Dance Moms and all the toxicity that entails.

Honestly, I'd be very unhappy to see my DD become a prodigy at anything, because she's already dealing with perfectionism issues, and most of the prodigal skills she'd be likely to pursue would only feed that.

And of course, being a middle-class, single-income family, the resources to pursue such gifts to their maximum are beyond our means.

So count me among the rare ones who'd be delighted NOT to raise a prodigy. Multipotentiality FTW.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Bostonian

The very same thought occurred to me, Bostonian. But, alas, it was not a clear roadmap on how to turn my very gifted, often unmotivated and highly unconventional children into prodigies at all. So I accept once again that I shall not bask in the public limelight of praise and glory for having turned out a child prodigy in any capacity - unless we can perhaps shift the meaning of child prodigy to include children through the age of, maybe, 50.

(And before anyone get horrified, there is sarcasm dripping off my iPad in such great quantities that I need some paper towels to mop it all up.)

Originally Posted by Bostonian

I'm thinking that it may well have been, as this was my exact initial thoughts on the title, as well.

We're like ultramarina around here. While I'm a fair advocate of push-parenting with kids who lack well-developed self-motivation...

well, I think that I've just watched Searching for Bobby Fischer one time too many to really get properly into the spirit of these things.

Oh, and we lack a certain amount of the requisite opportunity and means to be Amy Chua clones. That too, I suppose. LOL.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by epoh
    Studying their families, I gradually recognized that all parenting is guesswork, and that difference of any kind, positive or negative, makes the guessing harder. That insight has largely shaped me as a father. I don’t think I would love my children more if they could play Rachmaninoff’s Third, and I hope I wouldn’t love them less for having that consuming skill, any more than I would if they were affected with a chronic illness. But I am frankly relieved that so far, they show no such uncanny aptitude.

Excellently written article. I'm definitely going to order his book next payday. Here's the amazon link if anyone is interested - http://www.amazon.com/Far-From-Tree...778547&sr=8-1&keywords=far+from+the+tree

What a lovely and TRUE quote. I've seen both sides of this, and it's true that the sheer uncertainty of parenting "on the fringes" leaves ordinarily decisive and assertive people quivering and wilting like cotton candy in a thunderstorm. wink EVERYONE has an opinion-- and most of those opinions are twofold:

a) I'm sure glad that it isn't me/I sure wish that it were me.

b) you're doing it ALL WRONG. Oh, and you're screwing your kid up for life. This is a peculiar thing about anything which is more-or-less an invisible difference-- nobody thinks twice about telling you that YOU are the one "making" your child so non-normative.

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    b) you're doing it ALL WRONG. Oh, and you're screwing your kid up for life. This is a peculiar thing about anything which is more-or-less an invisible difference-- nobody thinks twice about telling you that YOU are the one "making" your child so non-normative.

To me that's always the key difference between people who understand the range of skills kids can have and those who think they all even out if you just give more worksheets or do kumon. What was universal in the article is that the kids wanted to do what they were doing, whether it was the piano or that masters course that one kid was doing just cause, and that they had parents who facilitated for them but not in the tiger mom way. I often find myself torn about how much is facilitating particularly when he is on the verge of those big leaps or next level developments. I find that my DS seems to provide the answer about when he needs more and when to lay off. But I have to be listening, which is tough when all the other stuff of life is there too, but if I don't pay attention to it, it always come back to bite me, because he needs me to do that. Which is why I found the point about it being like a disability very apt. You can't really ignore it - and that what all those you did this people miss..

DeHe

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    nobody thinks twice about telling you that YOU are the one "making" your child so non-normative.

Hah, no doubt on that one. In retrospect my DS was 'different' basically from birth. I got comments and advise and corrections from frigging strangers just walking around the mall with him! (Clearly I had some serious blindness when it came to my son, I thought was normal for ages!) Thankfully we did not take people's advise to basically 'beat it out of him' and instead sought out a neuropsych (and that's thanks to you lovely folks!)

~amy
    Okay-- now re-reading, since I have my computer and not just my phone. Some of my favorite quotes from the article:

You can err in either direction. Given that there is no consensus about how to raise ordinary children, it is not surprising that there is none about how to raise remarkable children. Like parents of children who are severely challenged, parents of exceptionally talented children are custodians of young people beyond their comprehension.

SO true. SO true. It's as though you have a child who has sensory perception that you... just... don't. Rather like trying to relate-- as a human being-- to a dog's sense of olfactory awareness.

Musicians often talked to me about whether you achieve brilliance on the violin by practicing for hours every day or by reading Shakespeare, learning physics and falling in love. “Maturity, in music and in life, has to be earned by living,” the violinist Yehudi Menuhin once said.

Ahhhhhh-- and therein is another often overlooked way of being a prodigy. Some PG children are such devoted students of the human condition from such a young age that they really do seem to derive a supernatural-seeming "knowing" way about them. It's almost enough to make one believe in reincarnation-- until raising my own DD, I had no real idea what could make otherwise rational adults believe in reincarnation a la the Dalai Lama, etc. There is something truly a bit eerie about it. This quote also tickled me because my 13yo DD is apparently spending this year doing all of those things. Well, not the violin. She gave that up when she was 8, but she still plays piano.

Yet, Mozart was also clearly a child. “Whilst he was playing to me, a favorite cat came in, upon which he immediately left his harpsichord, nor could we bring him back for a considerable time. He would also sometimes run about the room with a stick between his legs by way of horse.”

Every prodigy is a chimera of such mastery and childishness, and the contrast between musical sophistication and personal immaturity can be striking. One prodigy I interviewed switched from the violin to the piano when she was 7. She offered to tell me why if I didn’t tell her mother. “I wanted to sit down,” she said.

This quote brought tears to my eyes. Yes-yes-yes. THIS is the gift that we have moved heaven and earth to give our child (who is not a "prodigy" in the same sense as the children in the article... but is in the next-lowest tier of ability). The ability TO still be very much a child, in spite of the adult, sophisticated parts of her. I also suspect that my daughter likes piano for the same reason. LOL. The funniest part of this to me is the chidllike "please don't tell my mom" aspect. grin

“I already have a normal childhood,” he said. “Do you want to see my room? It’s messy, but you can come anyway.” Upstairs, he showed me a yellow remote-controlled helicopter that his father had sent from China. The bookshelves were crammed with Dr. Seuss, “Jumanji” and “The Wind in the Willows” but also “Moby-Dick”; with “Sesame Street” videos and also a series of DVDs on the music of Prague, Vienna and so on. We sat on the floor, and he showed me his favorite Gary Larson cartoons, and then we played the board game Mouse Trap.

YES. This is my child's world, too.

When Kit was 3, a supervisor of his play group told May that he let other children push him around. “I went in one day and saw another child snatch a toy away from him,” May said. “I told him he should stand up for himself, and he said: ‘That kid will be bored in two minutes, and then I can play with it again. Why start a fight?’ So he was mature already. What did I have to teach this kid?"

Yes again-- I think that I've shared a few of these anecdotes about my own DD here.

We have felt SO alone in parenting a child like this. They are so much children-- and at the same time, so LITTLE like children; and so little, even, like one another because of the individual areas of asynchrony.

The comments associated with the piece are almost as interesting/insightful as the article itself, too, which is remarkable:

Who can see these children except through the lens of their own self image?

If a friend asked me how to raise a child prodigy I would say 2 things. First, share the things that have touched you most deeply even though for the child it may be a distraction and uninteresting, to see an elephant or sit by a campfire or see the sunrise at the beach. Second, search for that teacher who can make a path appear from child prodigy to adult master. They will put this child's needs before their own.

As a parent you give the gift of yourself so many ways, make the gestures meaningful to you. Then you need the help of the master, too; but it is a gamble with your child's life, with no guarantees of success. As all parents learn.

Q
    Q
    Great article. I am just so glad I don't have a prodigy.

And that one mother that turned down refreshments because it wasn't the right time of the day. At first I thought maybe her prodigy had autism and from what people say on the forums that might explain that the daughter does better with a strict routine, even down to the refreshments. Then I looked again and the article said that the little girl kept looking at the cookies and the mother kept giving her "the look".

All I can guess now is that the mother was strict. My mom pointed out when another mother told her kid no to something they were offered. She asked me if I knew why they did that and then told me it was so the kid learned not to expect anything or ever ask other people for stuff. My mother in law told me stories of her sons who she said were so well trained that whenever someone would offer something they would always look for her to say yes or no first.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by Alex011 - 05/26/24 06:03 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by figaloprepod - 05/25/24 01:24 AM