Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Michaela #136291 08/24/12 06:39 PM
    Originally Posted by Michaela
    There are a couple of woodworking knives and an axe next to the coffee maker, is that more masculine than flowers and ribbons? I can point you to a good knife seller if you'd like?

I don't remember where my axe is. It's a tiny throwing axe. I got in in Wyoming. Fortunately, there was no problem when I threw it into my carry on bag and took in onto the plane to fly home.

Having an axe under the seat while I was in a commercial airliner made me feel extra safe.

JonLaw #136297 08/24/12 11:59 PM
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Since this thread has already left the reservation, I'd just like everyone to know that I just got a baby coffee pot that only makes four cups of coffee at a time.

I had no idea that they made baby coffee pots like this!

I don't drink coffee. I tried it occasionally when I was 20 or so, but by the time I was 21 or 22, I realized that it will always taste like muddy dishwater to me. Other people appear to enjoy drinking it. I find this odd, even though I know I'm the odd one.

My husband has a coffee pot, but not a baby one. It's definitely a grown-up coffee pot. He put a fruit bowl next to it (no flowers). Then my son bought a porcelain chicken and put it next to the fruit bowl. The chicken seems comfortable with its gender identity. But its never been to Wyoming.

(Welcome Tetriste; sometimes, this is how we say we hello.)

Tetriste #136299 08/25/12 03:32 AM
    A
    A
    Other side of the coin:

I hate when my husband says (in a condescending, annoyed tone), "what is taking you so long to figure this out? It's easy. Just do the math."

Of course it's easy. IF you have an IQ higher than 99.99% of the population. In the meanwhile, my cylinders are all engaged but spinning out like some idiotic teenager who thought it a good idea to take Daddy's Hummer to the sand pit for some 4-wheeling.

It isn't whether your feelings are normal. They are normal for you. What is needed is to ask yourself the question as to whether these are the feelings you want to have about others around you. We choose our daily existence, in part, by the thoughts we choose to entertain and nurture. If you don't want your feelings of superiority and impatience to be what you feed on, then don't feed on it. Volunteer in a severely handicapped classroom and learn that victory sometimes means being able to pick the right image on a page with only three choices. Volunteer at a veteran's hospital and learn that conquering sometimes means walking unassisted for three steps.

What you need is empathy. Only you can decide you want it, though.

And, Jon, flowers on coffee pots...that is just so 70's.

Tetriste #136304 08/25/12 10:46 AM
    ... but only if they are in shades of Avodado and Harvest Gold.

(ick)

I'm fortunate enough to live in a household of 99%-ers, so we act as a built-in haven for one another on this particular point. We rant among ourselves when life gets to us in this way.

Yes, it's normal to feel exasperated with the pace and general inanity/ridiculousness of the world at large when you live out of step with the majority of the population.

I'm guessing that anyone with an 'exceptionality' in any of life's major spiritual or cognitive areas feels this sense of existential angst toward civilization as a whole.

How can people be so _________???!!

(Stupid, mean, disgusting, selfish, weak-willed, self-destructive, impatient, lacking in common sense, etc. etc.)

We save our rants for one another. If it bothers you because you have no one to share this with, then search out some like-minded and like-you people to hang around with. They do exist. smile It's a problem to feel this way all the time, though-- because it is toxic. Such feelings eventually are corrosive. Like putting actual dishwater with dishwashing detergent through your coffeepot daily, basically.

Stick to espresso grind and tap water. That's my advice.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    ABQMom #136307 08/25/12 11:57 AM
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Stick to espresso grind and tap water. That's my advice.

Hmmm... depends on the tap water. I used filtered, cold. Double paper filters, remove from heat as soon as it's brewed, stir, then pour into creamo (and not the reverse). Ahhhh...

Originally Posted by ABQMom
    If you don't want your feelings of superiority and impatience to be what you feed on, then don't feed on it. Volunteer in a severely handicapped classroom and learn that victory sometimes means being able to pick the right image on a page with only three choices. Volunteer at a veteran's hospital and learn that conquering sometimes means walking unassisted for three steps.

Amen. Very well said smile

ABQMom #136318 08/25/12 03:43 PM
    Volunteer in a severely handicapped classroom and learn that victory sometimes means being able to pick the right image on a page with only three choices. Volunteer at a veteran's hospital and learn that conquering sometimes means walking unassisted for three steps.

Hey, look! My clientele!

Although, in my case, victory often means "Yes! You get medical care now! Winning!"

Tetriste #136327 08/25/12 06:07 PM
    He's JonLAW, of course it's shades of avocado! Sheesh. How can you be soo... erm, um, oops.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Tetriste #136332 08/25/12 07:47 PM
    A
    A
    Michaela, you crack me up.

Jon - I forgot that this was your clientele. Let me just say ... while you "figure out what you want to do with your life", what you're doing in the meantime is amazing. The amount of effort and money an insurance company or provider will spend trying to avoid spending money on someone with a disability is mind-boggling. I'm glad that at least a few have your acumen to help them tilt at windmills with a bit of success!

ABQMom #136410 08/27/12 07:02 AM
    The amount of effort and money an insurance company or provider will spend trying to avoid spending money on someone with a disability is mind-boggling. I'm glad that at least a few have your acumen to help them tilt at windmills with a bit of success!

They generally don't spend more than about $1,000, as far as I can tell. If they spent real money, it would be a problem.

Insurance companies are generally pretty easy to beat, if approached in the right way and sued appropriately.

JonLaw #136426 08/27/12 09:38 AM
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Since this thread has already left the reservation, I'd just like everyone to know that I just got a baby coffee pot that only makes four cups of coffee at a time.

I had no idea that they made baby coffee pots like this!

Well, I knew that there were Keurig (or whatever) coffee pots, but they're just designed to sell overpriced coffee.

If I were a girl, I would decorate it with pink flowers and ribbons.

We have one of those-- and it's a lovely shade of turquoise (which, being a girl, I totally appreciate).

Seriously, I think they market them this time of year especially for college kids. Possibly color-blind ones, judging by the Barbie Pink and Lurid Violet ones which sat on the shelf next to mine.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs