Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 147 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by Jtooit
    After waiting for his full report on WISC-IV, I submitted his completed DYS application this morning and now the long wait begins, Sigh. eek
    So - did you find the IQ testing a benifit? You were reluctant at first - has that changed? Do you feel that your yard stick was wrong or the test was wrong? It takes a while to wrap one's mind around how unusual one's child is - partially when the child doesn't look that smart to you - what does this mean about the other children?

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Jtooit Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My yard stick is worthless! I found the testing to be the best decision. At 2, he was reading things he had never seen before in newspapers and magazines. I knew that he was gifted. It was not memorization, but actual reading. I knew we didn't teach him to read. I just never could wrap my mind around his possible LOG and clearly didn't understand the differences in MG to PG. I was definitely suffering from Impostor Syndrome with him. In bred fear of being one of those crazy mothers that has no perspective about their children absolutely kept me from doing this sooner. Fear of him knowing a number and defining himself by it. Fear of being wrong about him. I think I always had the gut reaction that he was different but all my kids are different and it is my normal. Just a lot of reluctance on my part and even more on DH's part.

My DS19 is MG and severely dyslexic with an autoimmune disorder. It was a very different experience with DS12 from birth. DS12 was the kid with his nose in a book at summer camp while other kids were playing ball. All three of my DC are so different it's never an apples to apples comparison. DD5 is not doing what DS12 or DS19 was doing at 5, but she has her own stuff going on. At 18 months, she came in the kitchen one day crying holding her arm. I asked what happen to you? She responded telling me her brother hit her. I responded by reminding her he was at school! She stopped crying immediately, huffed, put her hands on her hips, and stormed out of the room. I fairly comfortable saying she will hold her own with the boys. grin She will be tested next year or so. The Dr got on us about testing her after meeting DS12 and her together one day. She does great at school and fits in beautifully. If I had to guess ( with my worthless yard stick) with her, I'd say she is mostly likely optimally gifted. She just seems so well rounded compared to her brothers.

The first meeting with the GT psychologist was minding bending for us. He saw the ACT & Explore scores and said immediately he is mostly likely EG/PG range. We didn't expect that response from him without cognitive testing. We figured he would agree some giftedness was evident but not EG/PG just on achievement testing. Dr's opinion was you have to test him to be able to advocate for him. Good thing we had a week between appointments because it really took that long to absorb it even before the testing occurred.

When the testing came back, DH was speechless, I was more stressed and relieved at the same time. I was relieved because my gut was correct and he really was EG/PG. I don't know the cut off difference between EG/PG. I knew between his ACT and WISC-IV scores that he absolutely belongs in DYS. I filled out the application and just waited for the full report from the Dr. It was so much easier to do once I saw his WISC-IV results. I didn't second guess it or wonder if I was writing good enough information. I just felt confident writing the DYS application. I just have a clear picture of him now without second guessing my judgement about his LOG. I felt empowered by the results.

I completely agree with our Dr about advocating better. It's so much easier to go to the school with this type of information. DS12 is hearing impaired and has an IEP for him accommodations with seating and FM. We had IEP meeting on Monday. I sent a letter 2 weeks before the meeting to the team and informed them we would be asking for subject acceleration and laying out all of his test scores. It probably helped that his ACT was higher then their HS senior average wink Our district does has a policy for acceleration, but I have never really heard of it being used. I guess they do use the policy but they try to be very stealth about it. As to not attract Helicopters and Tigers to the principles office. The test results from his ACT and WISC-IV were exactly the ammo needed for us. My stress was because his current placement was no longer acceptable given what I now knew. If the school was unwilling to do more than I couldn't leave him there. We do have a nice gifted language arts program from 4th grade to 8th grade and the writing part is completely individual levels of ability. The math was status quo until 6th grade. He skipped the 6th grade math and 8th grade math, at least the standard sequence here. He was still bored this year after to straight math skips and the GT language arts. He only really enjoys his Chinese class and Orchestra. We met with the school for his IEP meeting. They initially started out with the annual "every year brings harder levels" speech. I smiled and nodded my head. Thankfully the principle jumped in and said, "Your son is a sponge and kids like him are nearly impossible to challenge, but I'll do my best." laugh
    I think I actually let out audible sigh. blush

She is asked him to do online Honors Geometry over the summer at CTY or CTD. He will be at HS in the morning next year doing Honors Algebra 2, Honors Biology, & Honors C,P,E. He will be at the middle school in the afternoons for his GT Language Arts, Chinese 2, US History ( I love this teacher to much to have DS miss his class) and Orchestra. The schedule could vary slightly but not the placement!

DS12 is so excited he can't wait to start the Geometry class! He didn't want to skip 8th grade but wants so badly to feel more challenged. He actually wrote an essay that made me cry about wanting to be challenged. He wrote about his ability to feel successful is hampered by the lack of effort he has to put into his work to achieve and the undeserving feelings it leaves him with. It tore my heart out to read it. This seems like an excellent solution for him. He still gets to do the 8th grade class trip, and 8th grade extra curricular activities. He is a little peeved because we told him he could not have the results from WISC until he was an adult. I told him I'd revisit the issue at 25 years old. It is what you do in life that counts not a number. He amazingly only bugged me for a day. Ask what if he guessed it within 10 points? Will you tell then? Fat Chance, Kiddo!

A HUGE benefit from the testing! I wish I had done it sooner and I will with DD5. I am in my Happy Place at least momentarily until the control chaos returns.

Originally Posted by Jtooit
    He wrote about his ability to feel successful is hampered by the lack of effort he has to put into his work to achieve and the undeserving feelings it leaves him with. It tore my heart out to read it.

thanks so much for your description of what you've been through. I am quite confident that this will help many of us, including lurkers who I now challenge to step forward and say so.

I's love to read your son's essay someday. Give it a few years, and see if he wants to post it anonymously here or, better yet, submit it to Hoagie's Gifted

www.hoagiesgifted.org/education_quotes.htm

Smiles and Thanks,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM