Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 169 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    N
    Nik Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Sorry I can't help, we ended up not trying it, at that time my DD was in a happy place with the new meds working nicely so we just dropped it.

The meds quit working while she was away at school and now we are doing neurofeedback which so far seems to be very promising.

L
    L
    Mary,

Do you mind passing along the contact information for the psychologist you mentioned?

Thank you!

S
    S
    Before anybody spends a lot of money on Cogmed, you may want to read a 2012 research article published by the America Psychological Association, which covers a variety of working memory training programs, including Cogmed. Here's the conclusion: "....the present literature provides insufficient evidence of its efficacy." Full article available at: http://www.psychology.gatech.edu/renglelab/Publications/2011/Shipstead_Psych%20Bul.pdf

I
    I
    LeeannA, so sorry! Just seeing your post/question now! I found this guy:

http://tuckmanpsych.com/online/services/attention-training/

Ari Tuckman, PsyD, MBA
    203 W. Chestnut St.
    West Chester, PA 19380
    PH: 610-344-3442 / FAX: 610-344-7760

Ari@TuckmanPsych.com

We conversed via email about Cogmed and he quoted me the price of $650.00. He seemed nice enough but we never spoke in person and I have not yet followed through on getting Cogmed for my DS.

I
    I
    Thanks Schoolpsych, I am readign the article now.

K
    KJP Offline
    K

A
    A
    Hello! This thread is almost 2 years old, but I joined so I could provide some feedback on Cogmed. The initial training is 25 sessions over 5 weeks, and is monitored by a licensed professional. After that, you are pretty much on your own, but you can certainly schedule appointments with the therapist, etc. to talk about subsequent training. I'm currently on training day 92.

I have adult ADHD, but wasn't diagnosed until I was 52. I decided to take the Cogmed training in hopes that it would improve my performance at work. I can honestly say there was some carryover from the lab to the workplace, but I'm not sure there was $1,600 of carryover! LOL

I'll offer these points in the hope that it helps someone out there. First, sitting thru 45 - 60 minutes of training, 5 days a week was tiring at a minimum. It was tough for me as an adult; I can only imagine what it would be like for a child. Another CRITICAL point in my view is how a person/child handles "failure". The training is DESIGNED to make you fail at some point. Once you get one wrong, the exercises get gradually easier until you get one right again. For me, 2 successive failures almost always cause anxiety/panic episodes; 3 or more and I have to use deep-breathing techniques to calm down. It becomes a very unpleasant experience, but on the other hand, provides opportunities to manage those conditions in a "controlled environment".

My advice would be to try one of the cheaper alternatives first - like MindSpring. If the results/experience is favorable with one of those, you'd likely get even better results from Cogmed.

Hope this helps! :-)

High School DS was diagnosed with APD last week and was identified as having a combined inattentive and hyperactive type of ADHD. An updated NP was recommended for an ADHD diagnosis. Additionally, Cogmed and Starkey Halo hearing aids that record for clarity were both recommended.

I will go to the district and ask that they provide the Cogmed and digital hearing aids. Anyone BTDT? Was Cogmed beneficial for anyone or their DCs? How about digital hearing aids or FM Systems in the classroom?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    The data on CogMed is pretty much the same as it was 5 years ago, which is that the best research doesn't support its effectiveness. Now, if you can get the district to pay for it, I don't think there's any real harm in it, either, but it does still have a cost in time. Like most interventions with anecdotal support but without a solid evidence-basis, it is possible that there are specific people and circumstances out there for whom it would be helpful, but there isn't currently a reliable way for identifying which people those would be.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM