Originally Posted by Mommysontherun
His most recent love is geography and he has learned all of the states and their capitals, and knows all of the countries. He can place them all on the map and can tell you what countries border them and knows the languages that many of them speak as their primary language. He learned the countries within a couple of weeks of obsessive study.
Ok, so we really are talking about unusually gifted here, ok? An when one is an outlier to that extent, worrying about high school is just not useful. My son skipped 5th grade and repeated 9th grade - both were very good choices in our family circumstances. I've heard of kids who did community college for middle school and then started High School at the regular age. There are as many paths as there are kids who need unusual paths. Apply to Davidson Young Scholar's program. Listen to what the school has to say. Spend at least 30 minutes sitting quietly in a first grade classroom, kindy and 2nd grade. My guess is that will tell you all you need to know.

Some families do kindy and skip first, particularly if it's a half day kindy. If your son has done any preschool with agemates then you have a pretty good idea of his tolerance for agemates.

Don't expect to get everything perfect all at once, but don't accept any offers that are just plain silly.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com