Ok MI mom,
You asked where to start - I have an idea.

I think that for a person in your situation, the first thing to determing is 'does my kid need enrichment or acceleration?'

Of course it would be nice for all kids to have enrichment, but is that my child's primary need?

It would be pretty sad for you and your friend to pour so much resource and attention into the enrichment boat, only to find create some terrific programs that meet the needs of the top 5% or top 2% and still don't meet the needs of your own children.

You say:
We both feel like we're struggling to try and represent a small portion of kids that are completely under-represented.

I say: Don't do that. Problem solve to meet your actual child's needs at this actual moment, using the resources availible to you. That might mean gradeskip, forming a homeschooling co-op with your friend, subject accelerations, cyberhomeschooling, or private school. Less revolution-more problem solving!

(I do want a revolution in favor of teaching kids at their readiness level - but not until my own child is problem-solved to the best of my ability!)

How do you figure out your child's actual needs? IQ and Achievement testing with a tester experienced in gifted and highly gifted kids is a good way. Or getting your school to do the testing if they will. Or asking the school to give 'end of year' tests. Or read Dr. Deb Ruf's '5 Level's of Giftedness' or do her online 'www.talentigniter.com/' Or get ahold of MAP tests, but the first thing to do is figure out how unusually unusual your child's learning needs are. Then make some decisions about where to put your energy.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

And the library shuffle is very sad. I would keep politely stating your believe that your child needs more, in writing, and start climbing the chain of command if you get nowhere with the teacher.

Last edited by Grinity; 02/21/11 02:02 PM.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com