It's difficult when there is absolutely nothing in place.

I would start by finding out whether it is just your DS' school, or the whole district or the whole state that is so deficient in resources for advanced students. To the extent there is some programming available in a neighboring school or district, you can at least approach your school's administration to see whether they would consider implementing a similar program.

Have you consider grade or subject accelerating your DS? It may not be at all obvious, especially if it is seldom done, whether that is a possibility until you have approached your school's adminstration. I recently subject accelerated my DS7 to the 3rd grade GT math class. I was fortunate in that his teacher last year mentioned that possibility and his teacher this year felt that would be appropriate. However, the district had to be involved in the second round of testing and the final approval and even the administration did not appear to know very much about that process.

The fact that you volunteer so much would make it easy to approach the teacher about offering some advanced reading or math enrichment activities to a few of the most advanced students if you were willing to do the work.

Good luck!