There is a difference between the auditory and expressive; but I understand what Shari is saying. PT's work on the vestibular and other systems while working on SPDs; and once you get these things working, a lot of the other issues fall in place. I am not not trying to argue with you Shari.:)

My DS's PT for his visual and vestibular issues also says that some of his other stuff will get better as well once he gets his core working (his vestibular and proprioceptive) - it helps bring the right and left brain together through his core (middle of his body). The kids with these problems basically know what to do; but they just cannot get their bodies to do it.

You could try a few simple tests at home to see if there could be an issue. Can he do jumping jacks and skip correctly? If not, show him jumping jacks and tell him to follow you without explaining what he needs to do. Do the same for skipping...no verbal clues. Tell him great job for trying though. Another of these, stand up in front of him, with him standing in front of you, face to face. Put right arm out to the side and right leg out to the side at the same time (like half of a jumping jack). Then do the other side, again only showing him, without words. That may not be hard; but then show him right arm up with left leg extended, with no verbal clues. If this is difficult, this is not auditory, it is a vestibular issue, he is not thinking through his core, as the PT says - which I'll explain more later. Another one to try is marching, without verbal clues, standing face to face still. March lifting right knee and touching right hand to right knee as you lift it, and lift left knee, touching left hand to touch it. Then, the harder part, if this is an issue, is crossing over, again with no verbal clues. Show him marching touching right hand to left knee, and left hand to right knee. Lastly try having him stand on one foot and count how long he can do it; then switch feet. Let him balance himself anyway he can without touching walls, etc. Now ask him to close his eyes and do it. It should be about the same. He may have auditory issues; but these are separate from those since you are not telling him what to do.

I believe that this vestibular/proprioceptive issue could be, and I am speculating, a very widespread reason why a lot of these very bright kids are said to be not very coordinated. My son's PT includes exercises for "strength, symmetry, coordination and the integration of primitive reflexes that she uses with developing the Visual Ocular Reflex, which is the basis for ocular motor control."

Here is a really great article that I just found that ties all of these things together, stated simply. http://www.smileny.org/services/treatment-models/sensory-integration/

There are tons of other articles out there that you can read about how the vestibular system. I just found these two more; although I don't know who wrote them; but they seem to totally make sense.
Just ignore the heading [I don't know why it's there]wink http://www.causeof.org/neuro.htm
And http://www.causeof.org/neuro_vest.htm

Hope this helps (someone). smile