I just talked to her about switching schools for the first time. She liked the idea of harder and more exciting work a lot, but then crumpled into tears at the thought of not having the 2nd grade teacher she is scheduled to have--she already knows her and loves her because said teacher is super-into birding. She asked if she could stay at her current school for second and then switch. I wish she could, really, because I do think that teacher will be great for her, but there is MUCH less chance of getting into the magnet after gr. 2.

With a female child who happens to have tradionally female strengths, I think it's imperitive to make sure the 'backround' you place them in is a good fit to their abilities and needs, because before you know it, they will start to blend into the backround. I don't know if it's cultural or biological or some of both, but I see it over and over. Sometimes for good, but often to the great disservice of the individual and society.

I really am concerned that her current school sees her mainly as an accelerated reader and a "verbal kid," in part because she is a girl with nice handwriting. I KNOW she has a ton of potential in math and science, and I really do worry that no one there perceives this about her. I would hate to see her natural spark for those subjects die. Her dad is a scientist, so that helps some, but still.