Hi cct,
I have a 2-E child with severe dyslexia/ADHD & dysgraphia and a fairly typical child with attention weaknesses. Based on your description, I think you are wise to wonder about dyslexia in addition to the add - they often come as a package and certainly affect the academic areas you have mentioned.

Is your child in a public school? If so, if you make a written referral requesting a full evaluation in all areas of concern (attention, spelling, motor and even speech and language) the district MUST fully evaluate in all areas in about 60 days per IDEA, federal special ed law. Texas is one state that actually recognizes dyslexia (most only recognize specific learning disability in the area of reading and or writing), so hopefully they have good evaluators on staff. Once the evaluation is complete, you should get a report and meet with a team of educators and evaluators to discuss the results, determine special ed eligibity and if eligible, write an IEP (individual education program) that addresses all his needs. If not eligible, you could then ask for an independent evaluation using an expert outside the district for a second opinion. You also have the option to go to the 504 team to see about getting accommodations.

If your child is in a private school, you still have a right to ask for the testing from your public school district and it is possible that you could arrange for services at the public school - although scheduling can be tricky.

You ask where to have him evaluated. Generally, an outside evaluation done by a private neuropsychologist will give you more complete data and comprehensive recommendations. Private evaluations tend to be more diagnostic in nature. However, public schools are only obligated by the law to consider the results of the evaluation - not accept and implement them. School evaluations vary - but if you hope to get school services, most districts will do their own testing, even if you have recent and comprehensive private testing.

If there are LD schools in your area, they most likely maintain a list of good evaluators that specialize in children with learning disabilities and are able to write reports that can be implemented by schools. In my area the cost for a private evaluation ranges from $2500 to 3200. I prefer evaluators that conduct the testing over 2 to 3 settings and that will come to school meetings if needed.

Other sources of evaluators are testing centers within colleges and universities that specialize in education and or children's hospitals. If you go this route, find out who actually will be conducting the testing and who will be writing the report. THere is important qualitative data to be gleaned from the test administration and I prefer that the "tester" and writer be the same person!

You didn't mention whether or not you are treating the ADHD. This may be something to consider, too. While it most likely is not the entire issue, ADHD can have global effects that impact many areas of learning -especially as the pace quickens and kids are tested for precision as well as overall understanding. Things like vigorous exercise and motor breaks can help as can medicine if it can be tolerated. (you might enjoy the book "Spark" by John Ratey)

Oh - one last thing - as far as the sleeping - make sure you rule out interference from large tonsils or adenoids. Poor sleeping CAN be an ADHD look-alike.