Originally Posted by LMom
Why should a child spend 9 to 10 hours at school each day? I don't really see the point. We expect adults to put in 8 hour days. Why do you expect more for a child? When would the kids get to play and participate in out of the school activities?

The kid has to be *somewhere* during those hours. Two years ago, my neighbor's 6yo and 8yo were unsupervised in their house for an hour before school and two hours after school, because their single parent worked 8 hour days.

They'd get to play at school - which doesn't happen now, but could, if the day went longer. They'd participate in those activities at school, so kids whose parents didn't care / couldn't coordinate transportation / didn't have money would have a chance.

Originally Posted by LMom
I highly suggest looking at the number of hours kids spend at school in Europe (significantly less than here)

I dunno - I remember Saturday school from my year in Germany as an exchange student. Along with tracking that started in the 4th grade, so if you weren't identified as a high performer then, you had no ability to get into college (or even trade school, in some cases). Taiwanese schools go long hours / long year / lots of homework, and get higher scores than we do. Colin'sMum's in the UK, and her day looks a lot like I suggested.