I liked this quote from one of the links on the inspiration thread, "Too often we give our children answers to remember rather than problems to solve." � Roger Lewin
But you do have to give enough answers to keep them going. �And you have to give them enough problems to keep them involved. �I want to help give him all the tools, but it's gotta come mostly from what's inside him. �I'll admit it's more like training than teaching. �I've only taught people how to do crafts because I love to do crafts. �I taught them what I know, then they went on to do their own thing with it. �
I think in the case of this workbook page I'll do like my husband suggested and tell ds to count the pieces so it's clear what I'm asking. �I also think I'll hand him a calculator in the grocery store because he wants to learn big numbers. �He wrote down 1000 and told me it was 10,000. �He's not that advanced to add them, but he knows you can add more than 2#'s together. �Boy, was he shocked when he saw me add up a few prices to make a catalog order. �("Mamma! �Equals", he tried to remind me, his eyes wide as he saw me writing in a third addend. �Lol)
I guess I'm trying to guide him from the edge of his proximal development. �I'm afraid if I tell him too many of the answers it will skew what that looks like. �So I give him something and if he doesn't get it we put it up for later. �(overthink things much?).
Maybe I'm gauging it from too close. �Maybe that's supposed to interpret from a broad range birds eye view. �Maybe that's what the teachers are doing; they're trying to expertly judge a child's edge of proximal development from the vantage point of a single subject and a single year. �They need to look from a more wholistic angle.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar