I think it's obvious that one can be prodigiously extremely gifted in a certain area and non-gifted in another. Different centers of the brain perform different functions, and we have examples of people prodigiously gifted in only certain areas. To say that the prodigiously gifted only express their talents in certain areas due to interests is to assume the answer to what we are trying to assess here, based apparently on guesswork.

ETA: Mmm, I guess by a DYS standard of PG or HG+ that is true: you can't have a weakness in any area. I think that is not really what the OP is asking, though. In a general sense I certainly think that one can be profoundly gifted in a certain area. A proper answer to the OP's question requires a broader perspective than that of a parent of a DYS acceptee.

For the record, I also find the notion that great artists are not highly intelligent to be absurd. I certainly think that one can be an artistic genius, and prodigiously artistically gifted. Can one's prodigious artistic talent be scored by the sorts of tests needed to become a DYS scholar? Probably not.

Last edited by Iucounu; 10/18/10 06:12 PM.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick