Originally Posted by Dottie
Speaking as a teacher though, I see a LOT of verbally bright and verbally gifted children who are surprisingly weak in math. I'm not quite sure how to make sense of it. I suspect in several of the specific instances I am aware of, that math...and perhaps all education has been weak overall. And verbal things are easy to "pick up" if that's the case. . . I personally haven't come across as many math only kids, perhaps because those with weak verbal skills don't get recognized for their math strengths. Teachers are more tuned into verbal abilities and probably see that first. I did work with a boy last year though that was young and had some reading struggles. His intuitive math though blew me away. Unfortunately he left my school and I no longer work with himI suspect the strong verbal student would be easier to enrich/etc than the lop-sided math kid. The exception would be a reasonably well rounded kid like my son, who excels in most subjects but really shines in well for him. We could never have pulled that off though had his verbal abilities not been advanced
as well, as much of the math progression involves strong verbal input.

Dottie you remind me of an article that I read either here or on Hoagies (or possibly in Ruf) about your son but not of yours students, which said that highly gifted verbal were usually gifted across the board but that math giftedness did not necessarily correlate with verbal giftedness. But I think it referenced PG not MG. I should go find the article, I remember reading it initially because my 4.5 yr old is strongly verbally gifted with a prefernced for science but was showing no interest in math and we never saw the spontaneous evidence of math skills or math interest, like the people here talking about needing to count and categorize everything. But I was finding it so odd that he could be super interested in science with no interest in math. Now I think it was like when he hardly talked while learning to walk - he literally could not focus on 2 developmental stages at once!

DeHe