http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=7638

Go Google ! �Hee Hee. ��
This looks usable. �The wood pattern blocks on the bottom have showed up in a few conversations on the forums. �Apparently the nerdy kids love them and they get a lot of use. �I don't know how big the pieces are. �My guy has seen the picture and been begging for them. �He loves tanagrams. �He started those on the iPhone though.

I don't know what to tell you about the Montessori style, could you make what you need out of clay? �I've seen more Waldorf blogs with ideas for toddlers. �(measuring, pouring) Montessori is more geared to preschool. ��

What do you have in mind for middle school material for a toddler? �There's the hands on algebra method that teaches algebra to eight year olds using a plastic balance. �Speaking of which, let me go post that in the "vsl teaching math backwards" thread. �

Trio blocks are great. �They stay snapped together really well. �I love the size. �Maybe you could make your rods out of those. �My guy was 2.5 before his hands were strong enough to snap them together. �They fit much tighter than the baby legos and hold better.

Sorry I couldn't be more help here, even though I was just in the toddler stage. �I just gave him stuff with small pieces. �He used to love the board game perfection (without the timer). �But he never liked the toddler chunky board puzzles. �I'm really not helping here. �

My guy has good motor skills. �I went with it and bought handy manny's motorcycle at age 2 last year for Christmas. � It's hard to describe but the large plastic screws stay attached to the removable bike parts (muffler and stuff). �But the screws and nuts turn and really work to attach/change out parts with a little screw driver and wrench. �No chocking hazard. � http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/190-3449192-5346017?a=B001W1UG96
Now that he's mastered the screwdriver and wrench I was able to buy him an erector set for his upcoming 3rd birthday. �I'm sure I'll assemble stuff for him to take apart for a while. �I'm sure he'll love it. �And I plan to buy him a snap together first circuit board for Christmas. �These are built on the skills from the motorcycle assembly though.

That's why I didn't post sooner, because it's not quite the answer you're looking for. �But I couldn't resist sharing how my guy went from late toddler into early preschool toy-wise. �Is two a toddler? �He was just past ankle-biter into the tricycle motor stage, you know the sound.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar