This is an interesting thread.

I do definitely believe that some people have acuteness of senses that others lack, which can be truly troublesome to them (that is, I am not dismissing the real problems people have).

At the same time, I would like to see some real scientific testing to define the parameters of SPD and the science of how it works. I have not been able to find any credible scientific writing about this type of disorder. Until it's understood or at least well described as a phenomenon in the peer-reviewed literature, what can they put into the DSM?

I also personally don't think that most occupational therapists have enough education to provide a diagnosis. Unlike PTs, who need a really intense master's degree, in many places OTs can practice with a bachelor's degree; for me, that's not enough education when you talk about differentiating disorders that may look very alike. Discernment requires education.

And as far as I can see in my own community, SPD is diagnosed almost exclusively by OTs, which also drums up business for them to treat the people they have diagnosed. This is a real red flag for me.

DeeDee