Actually, Picture Concepts is a lot like Matrix Reasoning -- both load heavily on fluid reasoning (problem-solving, handling novelty, etc). I wonder if what was going on was that he was looking for more creative answers and not giving the obvious ones. Too bad the tester didn't come back after that subtest and ask him to explain his reasoning.

Note by the way that there is a bug in WIAT Reading Comprehension -- scores are based on comprehension of the passages at the kid's decoding level. That tends to pull up the scores of kids who decode badly (as compared to others their age) and to pull down the scores of kids who decode very well (as compared to others their age). (The test publisher claims this is a feature, but I honestly think it's a bug, because it obfuscates understanding of the kid's actual performance level. A kid who has average comprehension of harder passages has above-average comprehension, in my book. And I've seen this used by schools quite frequently to claim that a low-reading kid doesn't have a problem.)

As with other posters, I'm not sure what insights you're looking for.