Thanks so much, Dottie! He turned 7 May 27th so I guess he's 7.2. I guess that would make his scores somewhere in between? It sounds like he won't qualify for DYS, too bad. The thing is, math isn't really his strongest subject--he was never interested in it until last year, but they don't have achievement testing for science, general knowledge, or Harry Potter . . .

Kriston, many thanks to you, too! He seems to dawdle, guess (he has executive function/impulse issues as well), and second guess himself, so he's probably a combination of the two scenarios you described. He has been in public school and the most they will do for him is give him extra worksheets on top of his other work, so of course he doesn't have time to do them. I got him a tutor but she kind of tries a bit of this and a bit of that. She was excited that he could do long division but is hampered by the fact that he does multiplication by skip counting. The difficult problems to chew on for a while does sound like a good suggestion and I'll mention that.

I don't think I could handle homeschooling him. I'd go crazy. Also, (despite the 99.9th percentile verbal reasoning on the WISC IV) he's grade level in reading and social skills and has great friends at school. Plus some bullies, but overall I think school is a good thing for him. And me. But I hate to just resign myself and him to letting him not learn there for significant periods of time. We can't, at the moment, afford private school. If you have any more suggestions for tutoring, please let me know. I wish there were a curriculum for kids like this.