I am a parent who is blown away by my DD learning the alphabet and I mean identifying letters both capital and lower case etc. It seems that it is a bit young for me to know whether she will fit into the criteria of "gifted". I am also not sure that I can call any one else's astonishments of their childs abilities as "pseudo gifted". I am sad to think that any child's abilities whether seeming advanced or not could be labeled by another's in comparison with their own child. I also think of how many of us on this board have heard teachers tell us that our kids are something other than gifted and how much that hurts and causes confusion. I have already been seen as someone who is "pushing" my child not because any one watched me do it but because of what my child knows.

I have not heard other parents around my dd's age say that their child knows the ABC's etc. I have noticed when I fist started looking on the internet about this there was alot of people who wrote that their children knew the ABC's etc. I thought that was a bit strange to see so many but not to have met any. At this point I would like to meet another child (around my dd's age)who knows the ABC's.

I think that I use the criteria of the ABC's, counting, recognizing colours etc. because they are pretty quantifiable and commonly recognizable abilities. I guess it takes out some of the subjectivity. Memory is a part of intelligence.

I love your stories of the imaginary play.