My son who has dyspraxia and dysgraphia only writes individual letters and numbers backwards, never entire words, and when I asked him yesterday if he saw them backwards, he said he didn't. It would make sense to me if he wrote backwards if he saw it that way, but I can't understand how my son still occasionally writes things backwards when he doesn't see it backwards.

It doesn't make sense to me at all that a child who has a speech difficulty would be required to read out loud to show mastery of a reading level. My son didn't have as much difficulty with speech but he had an accommodation and tracking problems. At age seven he couldn't read more than a few sentences before his eyes got tired, but he easily read out loud the first few sentences from an article in a Newsweek magazine that the optometrist asked him to read after we told the optometrist that he could read at a high level even with his vision problems. I don't think he believed us until he saw my son read. My son started skipping lines after those first few sentences. When he was tested by an educational psychologist the month he turned seven, we told him about the vision problems but I guess he couldn't just start my son out at the level I told him I thought my son could read at. I could hear my son taking the test. I think he could have read at an even higher level if he had been allowed some accommodation for his visual accommodation difficulties.

I would think dyslexia would make reading even more difficult than what my son was dealing with at that age. I find it amazing what our kids are capable of even with their difficulties.