Originally Posted by ColinsMum
That's a little harsh, isn't it, no5no5? I don't think Connie suggested that schools be "segregated", and there is a legitimate question about what the balance should be between making special provision for children who have different special needs, such as being ESOL learners. Indeed, here in the UK, I have the impression that gifted pull-outs are rare, compared to other pull-outs.

It was harsh, but I wouldn't have said it if I didn't think it needed to be said. Many schools in the US purportedly put ESL kids into separate classes for their benefit, but it really is just a pretense for segregation. Often kids who speak fluent English are put in these classes simply because of their nationality or their parents' status as recent immigrants. And as a result ESL kids learn to speak English more slowly than they would otherwise (and sometimes not at all), simply because they aren't exposed to much English. My understanding is that it is pretty clear that an immersion classroom is the best place for ESL kids, that they catch up quickly, and that their presence has real benefits for the native English speaking kids as well.

I was really, truly shocked to hear the argument that this sort of thing could be a solution to the over-identification of gifted kids. Just, wow. All kids have the right to an appropriate education.