Dear Sfireblue -
I'm so glad you are sharing your curiosity here. I've always had a lot of curiosity about IQ. One of my favorite books on the subject is "IQ and Intelligence" by N. J. Mackintosh. It's really full of interesting ideas!

I'm curious how you can state that "small percentage of people with IQ's of 130 and above display such characteristics" I have many dear friends and have no idea what their IQ's are. I don't know what my own IQ is. When talking about high ability learners, it's important to realize that IQ tests were not designed to measure them. Each test picks it's own upper limit as well. This is a fasinating area and I'm glad that you are interested. I will say of the few people who's IQs I know, that they seem to have the full range of human strengths and frailties.

I am also grateful that you also bring up a very important issue for Advocates of Gifted Children. The word "Gifted" iteslf is a very difficult one. On one hand it seems to be recognized by a great many people to at least mean: highly intelligent. On the other hand, it seems to instantly put everone on the defensive, as if it imply that some people are "gifted" and everyone else is "worthless." I have observed this many times. I believe that a creator created each human precious, with many gifts and challenge areas. So I find myself hamstrung. I've settled for "children who are not appropriatly challenged by the normal age-appropriate cirricula" when trying to Advocate for my son. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com