I have a different perspective than most as I have been a foster parent for a long time and have had multitudes of children in my home.

The most important aspect of all of this is knowing your child. They are all different and there ARE children as young as 9 months that use tantrums simply as a source of manipulation. My DYS is one. There was no mistaking the gleam in his eye as he threw a gooleywhopper! For him, the only thing that worked was to pick him up, take him to his room and put him in his crib. I would walk out of the room, wait for him to stop (or at least get to the hiccup stage)then go back in and retrieve him. After about a week of this he would stop the moment I headed for his bedroom door. But let me stress again, you must know the child, make sure there are no extenuating circumstances such as a wet diaper, hunger or fatigue and a conviction that you are being manipulated. It's a hard thing to determine for a first time parent. Try to pay attention to what happened just moments prior to the tantrum. What set it off? A lot of parenting is just following your gut...... Best of Luck!

Shari
Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!