Hmm, i have a 6 yr old also. We're trying to have child help themself by noticing earlier that frusteration is at level 1 and let child choose what they can do about it... needs reminders (gently, of course!) ...

And yes, we monitor if hungry, if tired, if too much stimulus, etc etc. Depending on how school was, after school is usually tough as child will dump held-onto feelings to me, which I understand. Poor thing.

I understand how you feel though as I often feel that way, ... maybe this is the way it is. But I don't want child to grow up like how I felt. That I was impossible and that no one could help me. That no one understands. Or, even, asking why am I like this? Why are other people not like this?

I'm thinking that if I can give child the cognitive behavior understanding, child can learn to manage it themselves. But since child is 6, it will probably take the next 5 years to learn to manage their own behavior. It helps my child to know they are not the only one like this. Many gifted children are intense and have a special frustration level -- only because in their minds they expect that they can do this or that, but they are not able to. Also, the need to get things Just Right, or perfect (sigh) and frustration with not being able to. Like, for example, child saw on tv an art project that involved cardboard and child attempted it using paper. It was a disaster, as obviously the paper couldn't hold up. Sigh. And the persistence to try and finish it despite that! Bahaha... But I suppose when they're 12, it will be a different problem and not just cardboard vs. paper problem. Aagh! wink

We've also told child to (after the meal) to reflect on how it feels before meal? Tired? Easier to feel frusterated? And then how do you feel after the meal? Much better? etc etc

Omg, I hope all this helps us in the long run. But I suppose if this isn't working for us, we would still do it, in hopes that it helps, because otherwise, it would be ... ahem, frustrating. Heh.