Originally Posted by JewelsJC
Now to the question regarding the beanstalk....I asked DD4 to imagine that she were Jack and the beanstalk was too short. I prompted her with...what would you do to finish the story? She responded without hesitation..."I would jump" I too asked what if it was too far to the Giant's home in the clouds, and her response was, "so what, giant beanstalks, giants, and homes in the clouds are not real, so in my story jumping would just work".

I did not think there could be a wrong answer, so what exactly was the teacher looking for?

This is almost the same answer I got from DS8. He said he would jump and when I asked what if it was still too high he said since it was a fairy tale he would sprinkle fairy dust on the beanstalk until it was high enough.

This reminds me of my DS then 6 in second grade doing what they call functional reading - reading directions, signs, menus etc.

They were give this ad that said

Purple bike for sale.
Like new condition.
If interested call Sally at 555-5555.

Then the questions went something like this

1. Was this a girl's or a boys bike? DS answer - could be a boys or a girl's bike. Both like purple. - WRONG answer
Girls bike because you have to call Sally - DS replied that Sally would probably be the mom since kids don't handle their own bike sales all the time. STILL WRONG

2. How could you find out more information about this bike? DS answer - Take it for a test ride. WRONG - call Sally DS replied - Sally might lie since she wants to sell her bike, I would rather test ride it. STILL WRONG

The teacher actually used these examples to show me how he was NOT gifted. Not to say these are brilliant answers but they show that he did read the ad and did think about the answers he just hadn't learned the trick yet of knowing the "expected" answer.

BTW - I adore C and H! That and the Far Side.