Originally Posted by Kriston
Anyone have a way to do that within a bricks-and-mortar school? I'm curious about other solutions that use a similar approach.

Finding a good teacher. My dd9 has been very fortunate this year to get a teacher who gets her and LOGs. A couple of weeks into the school year he noticed that her rate of learning was faster than that of the other kids in his class (7/8th graders). He decided that she could cover the whole years' material in a couple of months, so he is letting her go "as fast as she wants but as slow as she needs" (meaning she doesn't have to slow down to wait for the other students but if she has problem with a concept she can take all the time she needs). He decided that bumping her another year would not solve the problem as she would be in the same situation in a couple of months. Instead, he is giving her and another kid individualized work within the classroom. He is allowing them to go deeper into the subject and spending a lot of time on problem solving. My dd has been accelerated in math since 1sth grade (3 years so far), but she always had to stick with the class until now, which meant a lot of waiting (although she had a great 2nd great teacher who was wonderful about teaching them advanced concepts). Now for the first time, she is allowed to go at her own pace. This year she is really enjoying math. Her school teaches up to calculus AB in middle school, so we may have some of the same problems Ania is having, but we will have to cross that bridge when we get there. With any luck we will find a HS that offers advanced math work (Exeter seems to be the favorite right now). I really don't want her to attend college courses until she is in college....

Last edited by bianc850a; 10/21/09 07:58 PM.