Originally Posted by Tizz2008
The teacher told me well I told her that I was smarter than her as I had been to University and if she listened to me she would learn something. Apparently (and I am still shocked that DD would say this!) she says she is smart and doesn't need to learn X and Y as she already knows it and is the smartest in the class. I'm a bit embarassed by this as she has not been brought up to boast like this or say this type of thing.

I think it is wonderful that you know what she is thinking so you can discuss it with her. I know I felt the same thing as a kid, but I never expressed it. My response would be threefold: First, I'd try to validate her feelings, but also explain that we can still learn from people who are not as smart as us. Second, I'd try to introduce/reinforce the idea of modesty--even when others are not being modest. Third, I'd do my best to get her out of that classroom, away from that teacher. IMHO, any teacher who goes around saying that they are smarter than their students (or otherwise comparing intelligence) is a poor choice for any student, and especially for gifted students. frown