Hi, JBDad,

Yes, he logged in on the first screen to play online. Then on the website, there is a place to see your scores. It's not set up for single users yet, but says the feature is coming soon. It appears to be a full curriculum. Nothing tricky, but teaching all the rules, like order of operations, rates and ratios, etc.

Kriston,

As I recall, Descartes Cove doesn't really have the instruction. You can read how to do things - right? - but there aren't practice exercises other than those in the game to collect the stuff you need to play. The instructional module online has activities - it makes you identify the correct symbol for square units, for example, and after you do that, the screen changes and you're asked to do something else. All in the context of the game and trying to accomplish the mission - plus the game voices read the script outlining the problem. Not sure I can get DS to do the intructional modules routinely, but for anyone looking for fun math, I think it's a winner.

But - we are not "mathy" types around here. I used to be, but that was so long ago I don't remember. So this isn't teaching the why so much as the how. I can't comment on the level of instruction and how it compares to Aleks and EPGY and Thinkwell. What it does for us, however, is more important at this stage - it makes DS hugely excited about math. And from reading the website, I believe that was the purpose to begin with. DS went from having math as his favorite subject to hating math after doing EPGY 3rd grade through CTY. I'm hoping this brings him back.

They do have demos. We didn't wait. Contact the company, try it out and let us know what you think.