Hi-rene,
My son started learning keyboarding with various 'learn to type' CDs at age 7, but he didn't get fluid until age 9. Our public library has a shelf of educational CDs for the computer, so we tryed a few, including jumpstart and sponge bob. Mavis Beacon was the best for us, and it was customizable, so DS could turn off the 'phony praise' and change the style of music. He also turned off the 'games' as they weren't fun for him.

From age 7 to 9, I just was purely positive, and offered him a quarter dollar for every quater hour he would put in. I did sit with him for the most part, and just watched and praised. Hey, being an only has to have some advantages. I told him the story of the Bamboo tree, 3 years under the ground of root development and then feet of visible grown all at once. This was DS's first experience with 'learning' that wasn't about how quickly you can get the idea, but just about building muscle memory. I told him that everyone who puts enough time into learning to type will learn to type, but that no one knows exactly how long it will take. I projected confidence that he would get it, and confidence that he had the 'seat power' to stick with it long enough to get it. I had heard the phrase 'relaxed, high expectations' and repeated it to myself over and over again.

Best Wishes,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com