Originally Posted by mamaandmore
He's a 7yo working at a 4th/5th grade level at the *lower* end- how am I supposed to ever send him back? I feel like we did this to ourselves, but I honestly don't know how we could have done anything differently.

We went to my DS5's Kindergarten orientation today (different school) and DS7 was almost near tears the whole time. He wouldn't tell me what's wrong, when I finally guessed, he just looked so forlorn.

Oh Mammaandmore,
this is really sad. but don't ever say never! by the time your DS7 is high school aged, he may want to do high school and be perfectly ready to pour himself into extracurriculars and independent studies. So kids do Community College for Middle School and then regular High School for High School - really! Or maybe you will end up in Reno, or maybe a school for PG kids will open up in your neighborhood. I think you are doing really well to have reversed his underachievement and just meeting his needs each day. Socially, it really only takes one good friend to make everything better. It may be that in a year or two, the 3+ kids will be more fun and interesting.

There must be age segregated sports or art class or drama that he could do afterschool? Any interest there?

Of course it makes you angry, but I do think that having the chance to make hard decisions can be really powerful for kids, as long as they are still getting their basic needs met. Wanting can be a good thing!

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com