I have gotten so much out of reading this board and I am hoping someone may have some advice/ideas/support for a dear friend of mine who is not too active on-line.

She had her HG DS6 evaluated by a professional who specializes in gifted children. She knew he had quite a bit of asynchronus development (grade appropriate in math, but reads at a 5th grade level) as well as some behavioral issues at school (difficulties making transitions could result in explosive outbursts).

Today the psychiatrist presented her with a diagnosis of PDD-NOS, ODD and perhaps some depression. The doctor recommended, among other things, Occupational Therapy, Social Skills Group and Speech Therapy (for learning how to better communicate his thoughts and feelings).

As you might imagine, she feels a bit overwhelmed.

I was wondering if any of you might have had any experience with these diagnoses or therapies. Or a link to any earlier discussions on such topics. My search did not turn up anything (though I'm not convinced I did it correctly blush). I will happily pass along any replies, either posted here or through pm.

I appreciate your help. As I mentioned, she is one of my closest friends, and while I will support her in every way I can, I do not have any specific experience in this area.

Thanks for any/all help!

Irish Eyes